Are there differences

More
28 Nov 2008 13:09 - 29 Nov 2008 05:25 #249783 by cnyl
Are there differences was created by cnyl
between the 1982 M2,LTD and Kz frames? Would a J2 tank and tail fit on an M2? How about the seat? Do they have the same rake and same forks?
I'd like to take my M2 to track days once in a while. Kinda vintage racer but still keep it street legal. Headlight and blinkers I can take off for the track. I plan on rebuilding the forks with more pre-load and progressive srings set up for my weight plus dropping the front end a bit for better turn in. Plenty of options for the rear shocks...;)

Thanks!:)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill
Last edit: 29 Nov 2008 05:25 by cnyl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2008 05:26 #249897 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic Are there differences
No replies.:unsure:

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
29 Nov 2008 05:34 - 29 Nov 2008 05:59 #249898 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Are there differences
If wondering whether the seat and duck tail from one model will bolt on to a different model (such as some LTD models) which came with a longer seat and no duck tail - - - the answer is generally that they will not. Am thinking the rear frame design is different, and maybe the rear fender is also different.

Sorry can't help regarding compatibility of the specified tanks or forks, or differences between these particular front end geometries.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Nov 2008 05:59 by Patton.

More
29 Nov 2008 06:41 #249910 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Are there differences
Forks are different, M and K have the axle mounted on front of the fork tube, J has the axle at the bottom of the fork tube.

I have read that the K and M fames have greater rake, makes sense as they need more trail to compensate for axle position.

KD9JUR

More
29 Nov 2008 13:23 #249945 by cnyl
Thanks guys!;)

Forks are different, M and K have the axle mounted on front of the fork tube, J has the axle at the bottom of the fork tube.

steell, so does that mean that the J forks would also be shorter? I'm wondering if I used J forks I wouldn't have to drop the front end... What's your thoughts?

Am thinking the rear frame design is different, and maybe the rear fender is also different.

Patton, That's kinda what I was thinking. I've been looking at many pics to compare and the only slight difference seems to be the rear.. When I look at some J models it seems as if there is a chrome fender under the tail that looks to be the same as the M... :unsure:

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
29 Nov 2008 16:33 #249962 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Are there differences
I have never had a J model, had an M but gave it to my brother. One of these days I'll run across a J at a cheap price and I have one, but hasn't happened yet. Lot's of CSR's and LTD's around, but I rarely see a J model.

I think the forks on the J are probably a little shorter than the forks on the M and K, but I'm just guessing.

KD9JUR

More
29 Nov 2008 17:02 #249968 by cnyl
I'd like to find a J someday as well. Maybe I should do that and keep the M as un molested as I can. lol
I think it may be easier.

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill