Head light Mounts/Ears

More
18 Nov 2008 00:04 #248082 by KawiConvert
Head light Mounts/Ears was created by KawiConvert
I have a set of the cheap 12.00 headlight mounts and I am looking for something a little sturdier and shorter. I am trying to find ones that are about the length of mounting in the middle hole on the cheap sets. Does anyone know of a good set out there that will work for the 650? Mainly need the shorter length and a solid mount type.
Thanks!

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2008 02:03 #248083 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Head light Mounts/Ears
KawiConvert wrote:

I have a set of the cheap 12.00 headlight mounts and I am looking for something a little sturdier and shorter. I am trying to find ones that are about the length of mounting in the middle hole on the cheap sets. Does anyone know of a good set out there that will work for the 650? Mainly need the shorter length and a solid mount type.
Thanks!

Perhaps a KZ650 LTD style headlight mount isn't on target here :unsure: , but found this ebay listing.
Item number: 270303598765

Standard model ears appear under Item number: 220306092250

May find something more economical elsewhere, and without deal-killer shipping costs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Nov 2008 05:52 - 04 Dec 2008 09:50 #248091 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 09:50 by JMKZHI.

More
18 Nov 2008 06:19 #248093 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Head light Mounts/Ears
This is my 76900LTD it has a pretty sturdy headlight mount that is kind of minimal. Shows off more of the tube. My bro built her but I think it's a stock mount. He even got another one off e-bay and put it on the 650 if I remember right. There is also one like it but with chrome wire used on 550LTD's that would work.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
18 Nov 2008 07:15 #248102 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Head light Mounts/Ears
JMKZHI wrote:

Are you trying to move the headlite bucket closer to the frame?

And it wouldn't hurt to go ahead & mention what model 650 it is. JMK.

Yes and its a 78 kz650 SR. I am using a Acewell speedometer and am cutting off some material on the front brake divider to allow more clearance for the headlight to move down and back.

Locozuna,
That one looks kind of like the stock one, but a lot closer to the tubes. I'll look and see, but I don't know if I can change mine wthout ruining the chrome.

More
18 Nov 2008 09:04 - 18 Nov 2008 09:08 #248115 by Patton
KawiConvert wrote:

... am cutting off some material on the front brake divider to allow more clearance for the headlight to move down and back....

If not already considered, could perhaps eliminate the divider altogether by fitting a dual outlet banjo at the master cylinder and running twin brake lines.

The KZ900-B1 (LTD) does indeed have a minimalist but sturdy headlight mounting bracket, but I didn't realize it would also fit a KZ650.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Nov 2008 09:08 by Patton.

More
18 Nov 2008 11:51 #248138 by KawiConvert
Patton wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

... am cutting off some material on the front brake divider to allow more clearance for the headlight to move down and back....

If not already considered, could perhaps eliminate the divider altogether by fitting a dual outlet banjo at the master cylinder and running twin brake lines.

The KZ900-B1 (LTD) does indeed have a minimalist but sturdy headlight mounting bracket, but I didn't realize it would also fit a KZ650.

I could, but I like the look of the single line off the bars. It won't be hard to cut off nearly .25" off the mount side. Also I need to plug the brake switch hole, I am using a non-oem MC and it has a switch built in which will work with the kill switch that I am using.

Too many things on my bike needed to be replaced and it was more cost effective to go with newer parts off of newer style bikes than to find good condition OEM. I will have to take a look at getting a headlight mount like that. Otherwise I may end up making one.

More
18 Nov 2008 12:40 #248143 by Locozuna
Pretty sure this is the bracket

tinyurl.com/6ymtyg

;)

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
18 Nov 2008 13:51 #248147 by KawiConvert
Locozuna wrote:

tinyurl.com/6ymtyg

;)

Definitelly hits the "stout" requirement :D. "The only thing that survived the wreck was the headlight bracket". Its a nice idea, but is essentially what the stock one did, just a different setup instead of the rod with tabs. Hmm, gotta keep on looking.

More
18 Nov 2008 14:58 #248152 by Locozuna
KawiConvert wrote:

Locozuna wrote:

tinyurl.com/6ymtyg

;)

Definitelly hits the "stout" requirement :D. "The only thing that survived the wreck was the headlight bracket".

You wouldn't believe the sleep I lost before I put this bracket on my bike. DREAMS of riding long lonely stretches of desolate highway at night when "CrUnCh!" my headlight falls off and goes bouncing off into the inky woods. That's when the mooon goes behind a cloud bank........see you'll be sorry putting a flimsy lil' bracket on there! :whistle: :whistle: :pinch: :pinch:

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
18 Nov 2008 16:59 #248171 by KawiConvert
It did get me thinking of how to replicate the stock bracket (only shorter arms/ears) out of sheet aluminum. Cut it out, bend it up, polish it, and go. And I can add some fancy design on the ears. Hmmm.

I agree about the worry, I have 0 miles on my bike and already I can imagine trying to follow the bouncing light as I try to go down the road.

More
18 Nov 2008 20:23 #248227 by Patton
With a chrome headlight shell, another option might be a chromed KZ900-B1 bracket, which to some folks may seem less noticeable. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: