Help! front brakes won't work

• Rustbucket650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Oct 2008 18:21 #244361 by Rustbucket650
Help! front brakes won't work was created by Rustbucket650
Please help. I have a 77 KZ650C with the dual font disks. I cannot seem to get my front brakes to work. I have rebuilt the both calipers and the master cylinder twice. No matter how many times I bleed them the lever always feels spongy, and will not fully apply the brakes. I tried reverse bleeding with a large syringe and I also tried zip tying the brake lever closed over night but neither seem to help at all. I know that the calipers are functioning correctly and the master cylinder is not pitted. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, since this is driving me crazy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2008 18:34 #244370 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Help! front brakes won't work
i installed new lines and it took FOREVER to get the lever back...if you have the resevoir that has the 4 screws holding it on it will take a while..
it took about 2 hours and a lot of fluid..start at the caliper farthest from the master.....hope this helps.....good luck

More
28 Oct 2008 18:42 #244373 by tw..
Replied by tw.. on topic Help! front brakes won't work
The last time i had his problem I had air bubbles trapped in the master cylinder. I tapped the master cylinder and a few bubble came out then I removed hte master cylinde unit and turned it the air bubbles came out and problem solved.

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

More
28 Oct 2008 18:50 #244378 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help! front brakes won't work
If the bleeder screws aren't situated at top of caliper in its usual mounting position, sometimes helps to remove the caliper from the fork and hold it in position so the bleeder screw is at the top while doing the bleeding operation. This helps expunge any air which might be trapped inside the caliper above the bleeder when in the normal caliper mounted position.

This is the FSM specified bleeding procedure for KZ900 LTD.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Oct 2008 20:13 #244403 by luc
Replied by luc on topic Help! front brakes won't work
can only be 3 reasons for you problem, you have air in the system, the MC is bad or the MC is/was not designed for dual
disks and can't move enough fluid.
since you say that the MC is good and and you have tried about everything to bleed the air, you should disconnect 1 of the caliper hose at the junction block ( make sure to plug the opening) and rebleed the system.
If the lever feel good and the brake work, obviously the issue is with the wrong bore in the MC

• Rustbucket650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Oct 2008 20:59 #244407 by Rustbucket650
Replied by Rustbucket650 on topic Help! front brakes won't work
Thanks for the help. If the master cylinder is too small to move enough fluid would that effect the lever feel or would it just not engage both calipers completely.

More
28 Oct 2008 21:37 #244413 by luc
Replied by luc on topic Help! front brakes won't work
that will do both, the lever will feel very soft and the volume of fluid pushed by the MC piston will be too small to fully displace both calipers pistons.

More
29 Oct 2008 05:44 #244445 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Help! front brakes won't work
bleed the brakes some more;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.