Mickey Thompson or Good Year?

More
26 Oct 2008 13:11 #243935 by iroc355
Mickey Thompson or Good Year? was created by iroc355
Need to buy a slick for the drag project, what 5.5" would you reccomend?

Does either one have a benefit over the other?

Lets hear your thoughts!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2008 16:13 #243962 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Mickey Thompson or Good Year?
Goodyears seem to leak more air through the sidewall then the M/T. I know this from personal experience. Fill it with air and keep checking it. I would have to add air before every run. M/T would hold air better for me. M/T slicks need a harder burn-out for the first couple and then it doesn't seem to need as much after that. They seem to last longer then the Goodyears also. Lots depends on the rubber compound though. Not sure if the M/T can be bought in different compounds but the Goodyears used to. For the most part, M/T are the ones you see most of. 17" M/T should give better MPH numbers as they will grow more on top end. Some racers have had to give extra clearance then they ran with a 18". I have read where 17" slicks give better e.t. but the 18" react faster because the sidewalls on the 18" don't "wad" up as much as the 17" before moving the bike. Think wrinklewall and how they wrinkle up and then once wadded up, they shoot the bike out. The 18" will plant and get the bike moving but not as hard. Not sure if you can get the 5.5 in different sizes though. From my experience, I will run M/T all the time. Better availability, more information on how they work, holds air longer and generally are cheaper then the Goodyears. Only thing I have heard about the Goodyear slick that is better then the M/T is that they are stickier but with that feature, they don't last as long. Also, the heavier your bike/rider combo, the harder the compound you want and that is where the M/T should be better for most racers. One racer commented that both tires will e.t. close to the same after chassis is tuned to the tire but the M/T lasted much longer. I have heard some say they will go through 2-3 M/T a year while going through 6-7 Goodyears. Have a lot of money for tires?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
26 Oct 2008 16:37 #243966 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Mickey Thompson or Good Year?
iroc355 wrote:

Need to buy a slick for the drag project, what 5.5" would you reccomend?

Does either one have a benefit over the other?

Lets hear your thoughts!

I have a slick rear tire I could let you have cheap....:laugh:

Didn't start out life slick, just ended up that way.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Oct 2008 16:47 #243967 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Mickey Thompson or Good Year?
iroc 355 i have used both over the years i get more life out of the mickey's also they seem to have a bit stiffer sidewall so you can play around with air pressures a bit more than you can with the goodyear i always seemed to get a little more hook out of the goodyears but since i'm bracket racing that didnt matter so much as the extra life you get from the mickey's, they seem to be very consistent thru-out there life.the nice thing about them is they need little or no burnout so tire wear is exceptional.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
26 Oct 2008 17:30 #243973 by iroc355
Replied by iroc355 on topic Mickey Thompson or Good Year?
thanks guys, i was leaning towards the mickey thompson anyways, that was an easy decision!

More
26 Oct 2008 21:56 #244017 by Humboldt_Z
Replied by Humboldt_Z on topic Mickey Thompson or Good Year?
iroc355 wrote:

thanks guys, i was leaning towards the mickey thompson anyways, that was an easy decision!

This may not help but, oh well. I run car slicks on my drag CAR and I hated m goodyears. I would have to kill them on the burnout to get them to hook. M/T are the way to go for ANY slick IMO.