Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

chain Q 16 Feb 2006 12:41 #24317

• Mark Whiddon
  • Mark Whiddon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just bought a new 630 chain for my 80 kz750h. The chain came with a riveted master link and my question is this. Is it possible to rivet the link without buying one of those high dollar riveting tools. The breaker/riveting tools are 60+ dollars. Also with the clip on masterlink is there a problem with using those types of links? I rarely get on the throttle much so it will mostly be steady highway pressure on the chain. I have not had problems with clip masterlinks in dirtbikes so I can only assume they would be ok on street bikes. I have however seen some negative remarks.
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

chain Q 16 Feb 2006 13:03 #24324

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
On my 95 GPZ1100 I have a riveted master link. Put new chain and sprockets on it last year. I just used a center punch and hammer and I get on it a whole lot. Have had no problems what so ever. Clip type master work ok too. To be totally correct a riveted master and using a proper rivetting tool is the correct way to go. Make sure the plate is on fully and set evenly, don't over do the hammering. If you look at the other links they are not mashed flat.

chain Q 16 Feb 2006 13:27 #24329

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I haven't had any problems with using the clip master links. I've used them on several different bikes over the years.

• Page: