ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
20 Oct 2008 20:56 - 21 Oct 2008 12:43 #242931 by oldkaws4ever
Im so ticked right now. I put a new battery in the z1 tonight since my old one took a poop after 2 1/2 years. Started it up everything was good, the n took it for a spin round the block, and when i came up to the stop sign pulled in the clutch eveything was good. Whent to shift into 2nd gear and..................S N A P!!!!!! The clutch cable snapped. Not a big deal but just irratating. I have a brand new one for my kz 650 that lokks like it will fit. So thats going on tommorrow. I just ordered a new one from Z1. I would wait for the right one to come, but she is my main mode of transportation. Infact i know the kz 650 cable will work because i put one on there when i first got the z1........LOL.......so its all good.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois
Last edit: 21 Oct 2008 12:43 by oldkaws4ever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 22:17 #242953 by timebomb33
quit drinking out of alluinium cans see i've got the same problem i can't even spell alliuminium by the since you already figured out your own question i won't dignify you with an answer. your right

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2008 22:25 #242957 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL.........timebomb your right. Not a question just a rant if ya will.

76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
21 Oct 2008 06:35 #243002 by RonKZ650
Mine broke the other night too. Strange thing about this one was I had no warning. Usually you can see the cable beginning to break loose of the ball at the clutch lever for a while before the cable actually breaks, but this time all at once-snap. Funny thing is this is my first Motion Pro cable I've ever used and the first cable that broke this way. kawasaki is still the better cable of course, but for the money MP is a good cable.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 Oct 2008 07:39 #243011 by Sandy
Ron...Jeff will be proud of you,bud!:laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Oct 2008 12:47 #243053 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i put the kz 650 cable on the z1 and got it adjusted. Good fit no biding or anything when i turn the bars. It's like a new bike again......or at least the clutch is like a new one. So i guess the new cable from z1 will be my back up for this one. Oh and Ron were all proud of ya bud for getting a a a a a a a a after market cable:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Lol....

76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
21 Oct 2008 14:45 #243075 by Patton
RonKZ650 wrote:

Mine broke the other night too. Strange thing about this one was I had no warning... this time all at once-snap....

Undoubtedly because of failure to perform the routine clutch pushrod adjustment. :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Oct 2008 23:27 #243172 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i still have to adjust the damn cable some more because the clutch still isnt engaging all the way. It was weird cause i rode it for a couple miles earlier and it ran good no problems. Then tonight i went to get gas in her and when i would leen into it felt like the clutch wasnt engaging all the way, u know a whole lotta RPM's and no going any were. Im gonna mess with it 2morrow morning when i can see.

76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
22 Oct 2008 03:43 #243185 by Patton
oldkaws4ever wrote:

Well i still have to adjust the damn cable some more because the clutch still isnt engaging all the way. It was weird cause i rode it for a couple miles earlier and it ran good no problems. Then tonight i went to get gas in her and when i would leen into it felt like the clutch wasnt engaging all the way, u know a whole lotta RPM's and no going any were. Im gonna mess with it 2morrow morning when i can see.

Clutch push rod adjustment -- Need and Purpose

The FSM covering Z1 and KZ900 includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch push rod adjustment at 2000 mile (3000 km) intervals and explains the need therefor in separate text, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Besides cable stretch, clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment, with a decrease in push rod play. Due to this wear, the push rod gradually moves closer to the clutch release lever (at the lower end of the clutch cable) until it touches the adjusting screw When the rod is touching the screw and therefore has no play, the clutch will not engage fully and clutch slippage will occur. Note that the clutch push rod does not necessaily have play just because the clutch hand lever has play, and so hand lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

The FSM covering '77-'79 KZ1000's includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch adjustment at 5000 km intervals, and explains the need therefor in slightly different language, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment. This wear causes the play between the push rod and the adjusting screw to gradually diminish until the push rod touches the adjusting screw. When this play is lost, the clutch will not engage fully, causing the clutch to slip.
NOTE: Even though the proper amount of play exists at the clutch lever, clutch lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Oct 2008 06:47 #243201 by RonKZ650
Ever notice when you buy a new car it always tracks perfectly forward and the tires wear evenly, then over time possibly this changes and you start pulling to one side and/or tires wear funny? Easy to fix, just go to an alignment shop. They have all the specs, camber, caster, toe in ect. There is only one small problem, they can set everything perfect, right to specs and what results? The tires wear worse than they did and it pulls more than it did before. This is the way I look at this push rod thing. once it's messed with, it will never be right again. I know guys do it, but plenty get messed up worse too. Like I've said before, all my KZs combined at over 300,000 miles I never touched the rod and never had a clutch slip yet, even after 160,000 plus miles on the KZ650 the clutch worked fine with original plates, springs and the rod where the factory set it up. So to me it would be strange for a clutch to wear to the point it would slip and need this adjustment done. So there's my view on the matter, most have been fooled with over the years already, so you'll be fighting someone elses botched job forever.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
22 Oct 2008 07:42 #243213 by BSKZ650
I almost fell out of my chair,,,, a after market part on Rons bike!!!!!!!!!.
the neat thing about a cable, they work right up until the time they fail,,,,

just givin ya a hard time ron,,

RonKZ650 wrote:

Mine broke the other night too. Strange thing about this one was I had no warning. Usually you can see the cable beginning to break loose of the ball at the clutch lever for a while before the cable actually breaks, but this time all at once-snap. Funny thing is this is my first Motion Pro cable I've ever used and the first cable that broke this way. kawasaki is still the better cable of course, but for the money MP is a good cable.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Oct 2008 13:15 #243249 by oldkaws4ever
Ok everything is adjusted right and the bike is 100% good again, no slipping what so ever. I pulled out the kawasaki z1 900 shop manual and followed the direction and its like a new bike.

76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois