Shock height - how much makes a difference?

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
More
08 Oct 2008 10:48 #240786 by BeeSting
I'm looking at shocks and the best prices I'm seeing are accompanied by the size I'm NOT looking for. If I need a 13 3/4 and I see a deal on 14 1/3, how much of a difference is that going to make? (yes, I know half inch). But I'm basing that on the fact that my current shocks are kinda saggy right now.

does the adjustability of the shocks effect the height at all?

BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2008 13:37 #240805 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shock height - how much makes a difference?
The full spring length does affect bike height, but so does the spring rate of the springs you choose to go on the shock. Also, if the springs are user adjustable that changes the bike height.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Oct 2008 17:59 #240841 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Shock height - how much makes a difference?
I'm looking at that right now on my 750E project bike. At the minimum, the stock shocks (13 1/2" I think) are going to be mounted 2" higher than the stock location, and I'm considering going for 3". That's going to raise the back of the bike 2" to 3" depending on where I decide to mount them. I'll probably just go with the 2" number to avoid the chain hitting the swing arm pivot.

I think I'm just going to have to be real careful and take it up to top speed in stages until I see how stable it's going to be.

I don't think 1/2" to 1" is going to matter all that much (unless you're short and can no longer touch the ground) :)

KD9JUR