speedo drive unit prob

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
25 Sep 2008 17:18 - 25 Sep 2008 17:20 #238672 by riverroad
speedo drive unit prob was created by riverroad
Is there some secret voodoo trick to get the dogs in the speedo drive unit to engage the slots in the hub?
The thing worked perfectly for over a year until I took the wheel off to put a new tire on. Now I've tried and tried to get them to line up when I assemble it, but it's not working. When I spin the wheel it'll engage for a little bit, then it comes loose and stops spinning the cable.
I also noticed that it doesn't look like the drive unit sits against the hub. There's about an 1/8" gap there. Yet the axle nuts appear to be sitting in the right place relative to the forks.
And I can't find my Clymers anywhere...:blush:
Last edit: 25 Sep 2008 17:20 by riverroad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2008 18:34 #238676 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic speedo drive unit prob
You should be able to eyeball the hub and see where the slots are and eyeball the drive likewise and just slip them together. It either fits or it doesn't and easy to tell if it isn't because the axle can't be tightened without causing the wheel to bind when rotated if the drive isn't on right. Hopefully you didn't tighten the axle with the drive on wrong or it's probably ruined.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
26 Sep 2008 06:17 #238734 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic speedo drive unit prob
Thanks Ron,:blink:
I read your reply about two minutes after I did exactly what you were telling me not to do. :laugh:
I may very well have trashed this one. I just turned the lights off in the garage and went to bed.
I do have another unit that might work though.
When I first bought the bike a couple years ago, the speedo didn't work. I traced the problem to the drive unit, bought one from a fellow KZrider, installed it and it worked fine. I had no problems lining up the dogs. So now I finally get around to putting a front tire on it, go to reassemble it and I can't get it to work at all.
My theory is that maybe the previous owner smashed the sloted part in the hub down to where they won't engage the drive unit, and the first time I installed it I was just lucky.
And I never did figure out what was wrong with the original drive unit. Seems to rotate and turn the cable just fine.
So I'm going to take a closer look at the slotted thingy in the hub this afternoon. Thanks again.