What chain should I get...

More
24 Sep 2008 18:33 #238527 by RyRoRyan
What chain should I get... was created by RyRoRyan
So long story short. This is my first bike, and if you cant tell from my other posts...I dont know jack about them. I need to get a new chain and sprocket set since the one currently on the bike has been sitting for 16 years. The problem, is I have NO idea what I need. The dealer here is trying to sell me an O-Ring type and wants like $150 bucks or something like that for it :angry: . I really dont think that I need something that extreme. After looking I have seen everything from $30 bucks on oldbikebarn.com for a standard chain, all the way up to 117 for the o-ring. I have also seen an x-ring. My question, is what is the difference and is the price difference really worth it.

80' KZ750G1 (LTD II)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2008 18:45 #238532 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic What chain should I get...
Oring chain will last 10 times longer than a non-oring with correct care, so is it worth the price? Yes, if you plan on riding much. Be sure and change both sprockets at the same time. X-ring I believe is the newest chain design and should be even longer lasting. I think I still have the KZ record at 60,000+ miles out of the original oring chain on a KZ650 so yes they can last but NEED LUBE. I look at motorcycles parked here and there and as far as I can remember, I've never actually seen one that the chain looks properly lubed on and are they going to get any mileage? Nope.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Sep 2008 19:34 #238540 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What chain should I get...
Here's a good place to know about and to do business with.

Click here > Z1E

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Sep 2008 00:26 #238564 by almarconi
Replied by almarconi on topic What chain should I get...
Here is a helpful link that explains the pros and cons of different chains

www.quality-cycle.com/truth_about_motorcycle_chains.htm

I've got standard non o-ring chains on both my bikes. The KZ has about 3k miles on it since the chain was installed. I usually lube it with PJ1 after every ride. So far so good.
Whatever type you decide on,the most important thing with any chain is to keep it clean and well lubed.

1981 KZ550C LTD (SOLD)
1980 GS750L
1982 KZ750N1 Spectre (New Project)

More
25 Sep 2008 05:57 #238577 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic What chain should I get...
I would go with the o ring chain, and as said, repace the sprockets, also guy the install tool, 20 bucks, beats the hell out of busted fingers,,, first hand knowledge

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob