So now I know what the worst tire is...

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Sep 2008 05:39 #238166 by riverroad
So now I know what the worst tire is... was created by riverroad
What's the best? As far as mileage and puncture resistance?
I know the compromise between mileage and stickiness, but I'm willing to put up with a little slide for getting more miles from them.
This last rear tire is a Duro. I don't recommend them at all. Two weeks after I installed it, it got a nail through it. Plugged it. Didn't work well, so I put a tube in it.
Worked ok for a while, till I happened to notice the cord showing through already. It's only a year old!:angry:
Now, admittedly, I do ride fairly hard sometimes, and I have broke it loose a few times bang shifting, but I haven't done any serious burnouts with it at all, and the SOB is already worn out.
So, what tires last a while?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2008 14:48 #238225 by judgie
Replied by judgie on topic So now I know what the worst tire is...
you are taking the piss? a year out of a rear tyre, how many miles?if i can get 2k from a rear i will be happy and as for the front have just scrubbed out a new lasertec in less than 1k

forever tweeking aircooled engines, well it is my job
77 z650c1

More
22 Sep 2008 15:10 #238228 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic So now I know what the worst tire is...
my favorite was the michilen,sp,not sure you can get them anymore, so far the dunlops have worked well in all conditions, although time will tell on how they last.
in my old age, I prefer to buy good tires rather than cheap ones, after all its my ass on the bike

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
23 Sep 2008 01:18 #238288 by judgie
has this forum got a file on what tyres folk have used and how they rate them?
might be usefull to folk to know what to expect from these exspensive black rings.
mine came fitted with metzler lasertec front and rear, rear feels quite good and is holding up well, front is horrid and has scrubbed out the sides in less than a 1000 miles. both feel very dodgy in the wet.
cheers rob

77 z650c1

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
24 Sep 2008 04:27 #238430 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic So now I know what the worst tire is...
Well, I went to both local stealerships and all both of them had for my bike were the Dunlop 404's. I've had them before, and they are good tires, but I would've liked to try something else, like an Avon or something. But I needed tires right now, so the Dunlops went on. Even got a decent price for them considering I bought them at a dealer.
But it sure does feel good wearing a new pair of shoes! No more shimmy shakin on the ton.;)

More
24 Sep 2008 06:26 - 24 Sep 2008 06:30 #238448 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic So now I know what the worst tire is...
judgie wrote:

a year out of a rear tyre, how many miles?if i can get 2k from a rear i will be happy and as for the front have just scrubbed out a new lasertec in less than 1k

:woohoo: Holy cow, how are you riding that you go through tires that quickly? I've got the Lasertecs on mine and have MUCH better luck than that, even throwing in a few track days on a 2.5 mile road course. I get around 5000 miles out of a rear and about 8000 out of a front. I run 32 psi in the front and 34-36 psi in the rear. As far as "feeling dodgy", if your used to riding a newer bike on radials these will feel quite a bit less stable.

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt
Last edit: 24 Sep 2008 06:30 by Z1R rider.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
24 Sep 2008 08:57 #238463 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic So now I know what the worst tire is...
Z1R, I have theory on that.
I rented a car over in Scotland once and noticed they don't have near as much staright line driving. It's almost ALL twisties.
So maybe he scrubs a lot more side rubber, whereas we get stuck doing lots of long straights, and wear down the centers faster.

More
24 Sep 2008 09:54 #238473 by judgie
yeah the front tyre has the sides worn down, center is fine and the very edges are still good. rear is starting to show simerly wear but not as bad as the 650 dont have the power to spin the tyre on corner exit (yet)
on my gsxr400sp i did a front tyre in 350miles and the rear only lasted a bit longer, mega sticky track day tyre but still..... was a good fun days riding :D
looking at Avon AM26 Roadriders as a good trye to try next, few mates run them on older bikes and report good things about them.
cheers rob

77 z650c1