Rearsets+kick starter=??

More
21 Sep 2008 10:41 #238027 by Samwell
Rearsets+kick starter=?? was created by Samwell
Right now my machine is kick start only. The electric starter work just fine...I've just removed it and the starter relay. The relay went in order to make room for an auxillary fuse panel, with it gone, there's no point in having a starting motor now is there?

Anyway, back to the point, I've been looking at the Tarozzi and Raask rearsets and am wondering if they'll play well with my kick starter.

Anyone with rear sets using their kicker regularly?

Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2008 04:52 #238162 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Rearsets+kick starter=??
Tarrozzi can play well IF your bike can be kick started using only half the lever travel. The kick start lever will hit the footpeg right in the middle. You can fold the peg up and the lever will travel past but will catch on the peg pivot when it tries to return.

Also if you do try to kick start the bike with the peg down make sure you stop before the lever hits the peg because I've already snapped a rearset bracket while trying to kick start my bike.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
24 Sep 2008 03:13 #238424 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Rearsets+kick starter=??
StreetfighterKz wrote:

Tarrozzi can play well IF your bike can be kick started using only half the lever travel. The kick start lever will hit the footpeg right in the middle. You can fold the peg up and the lever will travel past but will catch on the peg pivot when it tries to return.

Also if you do try to kick start the bike with the peg down make sure you stop before the lever hits the peg because I've already snapped a rearset bracket while trying to kick start my bike.

Later, Doug

Thanks for the insight. I'm really interested in the rearsets, so if I can't get them to play well together, I'll have to retire the kicker and set up the electric starter.

Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
24 Sep 2008 19:37 #238542 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Rearsets+kick starter=??
I've got '04 GSXR600 rearsets on, and the kickstart lever will hit the foot peg and brake lever.
I use electric start 99% of the time.
If I have to use the kickstart, I pull the pin on the footpeg and remove it. This gives the kickstart lever about 70~80% of it's travel before it hits the brake lever.
This will allow it to start:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
25 Sep 2008 04:43 #238570 by Lukes6
Replied by Lukes6 on topic Rearsets+kick starter=??
Just wondering what bike you have sam?

I have a KZ750 twin which i also have removed the starter and still want to run rear sets. Have you looked into different brands?
What makes one brand of rear set better than another.
I like the GSXR ones rstnick is running and they look to fit well but i only want to run a kick starter as i want to go cafe racer style and dont want to have to pull my peg off to start every time.
Has anyone succeeded with mixing rear sets and kick starter or am i dreaming?

More
25 Sep 2008 08:25 #238607 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic Rearsets+kick starter=??
On my 1000 i am using yamaha R1 rearsets and cannot kickstart my bike as the kickstarter would hit the peg. I tried folding it and it does work but not well enough. I just removed the kickstarter completley for a cleaner look.

I took broke the peg on my old rd400 which had Raasks when i tried to kick it.:(

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
02 Oct 2008 14:08 #239835 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Rearsets+kick starter=??
I had Tarozzi's with folding pegs on mine. The bike is kick start only. They were originally mounted on the Tarozzi peg hangers and the kick starter would hit that hard like StreetfighterKz said. I bent the kick starter leg out and got a bit more clearance, it would only hit the brake peg at the bottom of the kick stroke. I too broke a lever one time with this setup because I kicked a bit too hard.
So I made a new kick starter pedal. I found one with a nice bend and somewhat close-looking joint at the salvage yard - no clue what it's off. I used the stock Z1 bottom part (that clamps on the spline) and with a bit of grinding, mated it to the new arm. Works like a charm, even now I've mounted fixed pegs on hoops it clears the whole thing.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
Attachments: