Swingarm Bushing Removal

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Sep 2008 16:28 #236610 by letthegoodtimesroll
Swingarm Bushing Removal was created by letthegoodtimesroll
I am replacing my swingarm bushings and am wondering if there is any particular way to remove them or do you just use a drift and knock them out? Any and all help is appreciated:)

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2008 19:18 #236631 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Swingarm Bushing Removal
There's some good news and some bad news as is always the case :) The good news is yes they come right out. Remove the swingarm, tap out the center tube, then tap out each bushing. They come right out. All is cool and easy to this point. Next tap in the new bushings. All is easy. Next install the tube. This is where the bad news comes in, the tube will not fit in the new bushings. Because the old bushings were worn, rust and the like has grown on the tube and the tube is bigger diameter than the bushings allow. So get out your emory cloth and start on the tube. It will take an hour or two to massage it into shape to fit, or preferably you bought a new tube to go with the bushings and then it's all easy going.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Sep 2008 16:06 - 11 Sep 2008 16:08 #236740 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic Swingarm Bushing Removal
I quickly tried mine last night and they didn't come out but I only tried for a couple of minutes as it was getting late. The tube fits into the new bushings fine so I am wondering if it is the bushings at all, maybe it's the tube as there is lateral movement in the swingarm. I will replace them as I have new ones and then I will know.

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler
Last edit: 11 Sep 2008 16:08 by letthegoodtimesroll.