Barn bike KZ650C1 chain is off, might need a spacer.

• Vorbeck
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • fubar
More
09 Sep 2008 00:06 #236282 by Vorbeck
I have been waiting on a 650 for two months just to see it. A friend had it at another friend of his house so I went to buy another bike and "Bubby" showed up and told me to wait he still had that 650 that was in great shape. "Bubby" said it was pretty and ran great I COULD TEST DRIVE IT THAT IT NEEDED NOTHING BUT TIRES TO DRIVE. So I waited and passed up my dream bike that was a little rough to wait (I was told it would be here but there was always a problem on the day it was supposed to arrive). Well it is here for me to look at. It won't run smooth, electric start don't work, some funny electrical problems and oh the chain is off they say it needs a spacer to line the rear sprocket up. I need a bike to drive daily all year around with my job. I might have to go 150 miles one way a day and I NEED a dependable bike to ride that is a little bigger than the one I have right now. Is the bike even worth messing with? I just passed up a newer GS 750 that ran perfect for this bike that I can't even test drive without spending money on it! My Dad had a Z1(when they were new) and now has a 78 or 79 1000 so I kinda want a KZ but everyone I find will not run right or won't run.

Kz1000b3
kz650c1
gn125z

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2008 05:56 #236296 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Barn bike KZ650C1 chain is off, might need a spacer.
If your truly requiring a daily driver this bike isn't it, for you have no way of verifying WTF else is wrong with it.

You don't need a chain to start and run smooth... Could just be timing/carb adjustments. Electrical problems especially if intermittent can leave you stranded. Rear sprocket spacer required :blink: equates to unknown. Probably wobbles like a sonsabitch.

Same time, if you have the funds and technical abilities to get it all figured out quickly, then your call. Since you posted this I gather not... Do your self a big favor, find another bike.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Sep 2008 06:31 - 09 Sep 2008 06:36 #236303 by rstnick
Got a picture of her?

She may not need much at all.
Just a tune up, chain and possibly sprokets.
How many miles on her?

Look at a parts diagram of the back wheel set up to see what is missing.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Sep 2008 06:36 by rstnick.

More
09 Sep 2008 10:28 #236339 by 650ed
You may want to find out when the bike was last used on a regular basis. You should be able to find out through the MVA or by the owner's registration card when it was licensed, so that will give you a ball park date. If it hasn't been used in years, there may be a good reason and it may require extra work to make it a daily driver. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Vorbeck
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • fubar
More
09 Sep 2008 21:20 #236451 by Vorbeck
Ok, I had mine own fleet service for a while. I can fix any thing but I just got it torn down and it will be costly. Oh the rear brake don't work at all. The bike is fubar but it is here and after "bubby" seen what his friend had done to it I can get it for $250 since it is junk!

Kz1000b3
kz650c1
gn125z