a different front end

More
03 Sep 2008 02:09 #235256 by boosted1
a different front end was created by boosted1
hey all just was wondering about anyone out there that installed a new sport bike front end on their kz like of a ninja or something like that would love to get better brakes suspension and an over all lighter front end on the bike

what did you do did you replace the whole thing? triple trees also or did you just install same diameter forks from the newer bike onto the factory trees would love to see some up close pics if you have any

thank you all

and no i still cant fit the trees back onto the bike for some damn reason just need that extra 1/8" to get the nut back on

slawek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2008 07:07 #235273 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic a different front end
On my 77 kz1000 i installed a 1996-2003 zx7r front end. Here are some thoughts on doing this. If you go with this year front end its one of easiest conversions and here is why. The 96-03 stem ID is the same as a kz stem OD. So if you cut the zx7 stem right at the triple you can press the kz stem right into that and you are done. My caveat to this project is that you will drop 1 and 3/4 to 2 in the front. Now that may sound good at first but consider that your exhaust will now be that much lower to the ground. More notes on the 96 front end. what you get are the 6 piston calipers that if need a rebuild cost an arm and a leg so make sure you get good ones, you will need the clip ons as the zx7 use the not so common 52mm clip ons and you will need to make your own brackets for the guages and headlight. Althought that was pretty easy as well but i can post some pics if you need more info.

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
03 Sep 2008 16:56 #235353 by tysonxj
Replied by tysonxj on topic a different front end
I would love to see pics of this.

Thanks,
Chris

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
03 Sep 2008 20:15 - 03 Sep 2008 20:16 #235381 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic a different front end
How did you figure rake and trail for your swap? How do you find the new handling?

I am guessing that my rake will be unchangeable (the only factor deciding rake is the neck right?)

I would like to swap front ends (and my swing arm as well) and end up with a ride that sits only 1 or 2 inches lower than stock, and has sportier handling.

These are some numbers I pulled.
1977 KZ650c1
27* rake
108 mm trail

2008 R6
24* Rake
3.8inch (97mm) trail

2003 GSXR
23.5* Rake
91mm Trail

So what I am asking is...
1) Is there any way to lower my rake angle without cutting the frame?

2) How will the length of the forks effect trail (would shorter forks give less trail?)

3) are these modern numbers to radical for the old 650 chassis?

I want to do this swap as well, but I do not want to do a seat of my pants swap.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2008 20:16 by hardr0ck68.

More
04 Sep 2008 07:02 #235436 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic a different front end
1) Is there any way to lower my rake angle without cutting the frame?

I suppose you could have an offset triple clamps made up but then we are talking big bucks unless you are a machinist.

2) How will the length of the forks effect trail (would shorter forks give less trail?)

The forks are actually the same size they are 30" from the center of the axle to the top of the tube. But the wheel is 17 vs stock 19 so you will drop 2 inches there maybe more maybe less depending on tire wall size. So i am not sure how to answer this question exactly without taking full measurements my self and then figuring this out.

3) are these modern numbers to radical for the old 650 chassis?

If the triples have no offset then the fork angle should be the same but with less trail since wheels size. Not 100% on this but...

I want to do this swap as well, but I do not want to do a seat of my pants swap.

To sum this up you steering will be much quicker than stock. Is that better well it depends. I am still getting used to it i havent put that many miles on the bike since my tires are bald to the point of wires sticking out (i bought the wheels that way). And that has a lot to do with the handling as well.

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
04 Sep 2008 17:39 #235534 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic a different front end
Thanks for the information, that was a great response.

Now I thought offset triple trees only modified the trail (1mm more offset = 1mm less trail) I got that info from this article

www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_art/index.html

So I believe I am stuck with 27* or rake, which is ok... as I have read that rake is not so important for handling.

Could you please (if you get a chance) measure the trail number and tell me how it feels to you. Has the steering ever felt twitchy?

Do you know if the zx9 forks/triple is comparable to the zx7? I have read they are longer but I don't know by how much.

Thank you for your information!!

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
05 Sep 2008 05:11 #235594 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic a different front end
Maybe this pic will give you an idea what happens. Left side ELR is stock and right one not-so-stock.

The right one has a ´98 GSXR USD-front with a 17" rim. Rear swing is off a ´90 GSXR and is 50mm/2" longer. Lower triple tree is off GSXR and upper is fabbed and they have much less offset than stock ones to achiewve more trail to balance out steeper steering angle. Bike handles very well, need no steering damper even on WTO +200kmh.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...
Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2008 05:11 - 05 Sep 2008 05:13 #235595 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic a different front end
Darn double posting:angry:

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2008 05:13 by Z1109R Fin.