1977 KZ1000 LTD - How do I jack it up???

More
24 Aug 2008 13:17 #233761 by Fatuglyal
1977 KZ1000 LTD - How do I jack it up??? was created by Fatuglyal
Can anybody out there tell me how to properly jack my bike up, for doing maintenance?

I was hoping to jack it up using a regular ATV/Motorcycle lift but the exhaust pipes are in the way. I do not have a center stand and do not know if jacking it up against the bottom of the motor is a good idea or not. I would like to jack it up to be able to work on it without laying on the floor to see things like my idle adjustment screws. I am also wanting to be able to have it running while it's jacked up.

What's the proper way to lift it???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2008 13:46 #233766 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic 1977 KZ1000 LTD - How do I jack it up???
Do you have a floor-jack?

What I do...
To lift the rear tire,put the jack under one of the center-stand brackets(if they're still there on your bike)...
For the front tire,I set the cup of the jack,under the oil-filter cover.I have a Kerker pipe,whick leaves the oil-filter cover exposed,btw.If you have the factory exhaust,I don't know about clearance in that area.
This isn't for any height,like I think you want,but only to get the wheels off the ground for chain maintenance,and cleaning,etc.
I've beeen using these lifting points for years now,and I've never had any issues.

This is done with the kickstand down,and I'm only lifting the bike about an inch off the ground...just enough to allow the wheels to turn.
Anything higher,I'd have it supported by rope,tied to the rafters above,in my garage.
I also use a come-a-long...with the tank removed,I attach a length of rope to the frame,and hook the come-a-long to it.
For back-up,I use a motorcycle tie-down,once I get the bike lifted to where I want it,to do whatever work I'm doing.
:)

If you've got the room,a bike-lift is nice...Christmas isn't TOO far away.:laugh:

Check this one out...

BIKE-LIFT

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
24 Aug 2008 13:51 #233768 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic 1977 KZ1000 LTD - How do I jack it up???
Fatuglyal wrote:

Can anybody out there tell me how to properly jack my bike up, for doing maintenance?

I was hoping to jack it up using a regular ATV/Motorcycle lift but the exhaust pipes are in the way. I do not have a center stand and do not know if jacking it up against the bottom of the motor is a good idea or not. I would like to jack it up to be able to work on it without laying on the floor to see things like my idle adjustment screws. I am also wanting to be able to have it running while it's jacked up.

What's the proper way to lift it???

You have several alternatives.

(1) Locate a centerstand (eBay) for a 1977/8 KZ1000 and only attach it when you need it. You bike will have the mounts for it (but did not come with a centerstand)

(2) If you have open rafters in your garage (assuming you have a garage), you can remove your tank and hoist the front end off the ground.

(3) Buy a motorcycle lift (or use your lift with a support to spread the balance)...BUT you must remove you pipes to do this.

(4) Buy a swingarm lift designed for a bike of your vintage...K&L makes one but they aren't cheap

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A