Kz 1100 swingarm removal

More
21 Aug 2008 01:44 #233228 by Onebiker
Kz 1100 swingarm removal was created by Onebiker
Hey there list,

I need to replace the universal joint on the drive shaft of my KZ1100. I have a second full bike for donor spares, and have removed the donor swingarm. My problem is that I cannot remove the two pivot pins from the frame of my bike, to release the swingarm. I have tried releasing oil, heating the frame up with an oxy acetylene torch, and pulling the pins with a dolly, but they are not budging. If I can't come right, I am going to have to cut the swingarm in half with an angle grinder to get it out. HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2008 19:36 #233378 by KYKZ1100
Replied by KYKZ1100 on topic Kz 1100 swingarm removal
Onebiker,
I did that about a year ago on my KZ1100A1 and one pin slid right out but the other was a real pain. It sounds like you've tried everything I did. If I recall I used penetrating oil and kept tapping on it and pulling until it loosened up. It seems like it took a day or two for the penetrating oil to work. Once you get the swing arm stoppers (the brackets with three bolts on the outside) off, I think there should be a little leeway to break the pins loose by tapping them in, but someone who's done this more than I have might be able to say for sure. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

1981 KZ1100A1 Shaft
2007 BMW R1200R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.