Stupid question...

More
13 Aug 2008 11:27 #231784 by ghunt81
Stupid question... was created by ghunt81
Is there a trick to getting these things up on the center stand?

I tried the other day and couldn't really figure out how to get the bike up off the ground.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2008 11:38 #231790 by jmargrav
Replied by jmargrav on topic Stupid question...
I used to have a lot of trouble also. But you just have to put all your weight on the center stand peg, dont know what to call it for sure, and just yank on the handle bars toward you while leaning back. And make sure that the ground is hard and level, I had my bike blow over when I had it on its center stand in a gravle driveway.:angry:

1982 KZ750-E3
Lariamie Wyoming GO WYO!

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
13 Aug 2008 12:10 #231800 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Stupid question...
Not a stupid question...
There are couple of things you can do to make getting your bike up on the center stand easier.
1) Wear hard sole shoes or work boots... they allow you to push down harder with your foot.
2) Center the handlebars.
3) Before trying the lift, push down on the centerstand to seat the stand square under the bike.
4) Hold the left bar with your left hand, grab the grabrail with your right hand. In one smooth--sustained motion, push down with your right foot while pulling up and back with your right hand. Don't let the handlebars turn sideways.
5) Cheat by first rolling your bike's rear wheel up onto a 2X4" piece of wood. Doing this will allow you to practice lifting the bike onto the stand without the required strain involved. As you get better and more confident, decrease the thickness of the piece of wood until you can lift the bike without the wood.
Sometimes I fail to get my bike on the stand on the first attempt--so don't feel bad.
By the way, I am about 5 feet 6 inches tall (5'7" on a good hair day) and weigh approx 150 lbs--so it can be done--its mostly technique.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
13 Aug 2008 12:58 #231814 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Stupid question...
Also, put the tranny in neutral to allow the bike to roll freely.

It is a piece of cake when you figure it out and it is much better than having your bike rest on the side stand in storage.

On the side stand gas tends to accumulate in the no. 1 carb.
On the Cstand this is not the case.

KR

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
13 Aug 2008 16:53 #231880 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Stupid question...
One thing I found out is to not so much pull back but to pull up on the grabbar and when putting weight on the thingie sticking out of the centerstand. It will come easier with practice. gLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
13 Aug 2008 19:29 #231899 by ghunt81
Replied by ghunt81 on topic Stupid question...
Where's the grab bar?

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
14 Aug 2008 01:37 - 14 Aug 2008 01:40 #231927 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic Stupid question...
ghunt81 wrote:

Where's the grab bar?

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Aug 2008 01:40 by Royal1MC. Reason: added picture

More
14 Aug 2008 05:25 #231940 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Stupid question...
ghunt81 wrote:

Where's the grab bar?

You don't have one on your bike. Reach under the seat in front of the blinker and feel around until you get a good grip on the frame. Pull up while standing on the centerstand "lever". Pull back on the handlebar and it'll pop right up. On your little bike it should not be a problem. With mine I had to rock the bike a couple of times before it would go up. Now with my new exhaust the centerstand had to come off so no problem. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
14 Aug 2008 11:12 #232009 by jmargrav
Replied by jmargrav on topic Stupid question...
Grantl wrote:

Not a stupid question...
There are couple of things you can do to make getting your bike up on the center stand easier.
1) Wear hard sole shoes or work boots... they allow you to push down harder with your foot.
2) Center the handlebars.
3) Before trying the lift, push down on the centerstand to seat the stand square under the bike.
4) Hold the left bar with your left hand, grab the grabrail with your right hand. In one smooth--sustained motion, push down with your right foot while pulling up and back with your right hand. Don't let the handlebars turn sideways.
5) Cheat by first rolling your bike's rear wheel up onto a 2X4" piece of wood. Doing this will allow you to practice lifting the bike onto the stand without the required strain involved. As you get better and more confident, decrease the thickness of the piece of wood until you can lift the bike without the wood.
Sometimes I fail to get my bike on the stand on the first attempt--so don't feel bad.
By the way, I am about 5 feet 6 inches tall (5'7" on a good hair day) and weigh approx 150 lbs--so it can be done--its mostly technique.

Well I feel dumb! No wonder I could never get my bike up easily:blush: . That way sound much easier and safer!! Did not mean to give bad advice.

1982 KZ750-E3
Lariamie Wyoming GO WYO!

More
22 Aug 2008 06:18 #233423 by Onebiker
Replied by Onebiker on topic Stupid question...
You will find it a lot easier if you get the centrestand down square on the ground with your right foot, hold the bars straight with your left hand, get your right hand onto the frame with your arm more or less straight up and down, and use your leg to push the centrestand "into the ground". Because your arm is straight, the bike will pop right up onto the stand, and your back and arm will not take any strain.

More
22 Aug 2008 06:40 - 04 Dec 2008 09:30 #233432 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 09:30 by JMKZHI.