KZ550 Airbox install (with engine installed!)

More
08 Aug 2008 12:55 #230877 by danmaloy
Picked up an 82 KZ550 LTD with pod filters on it...needless to say it runs like a$$...want to get a stock airbox...but not sure the airbox will fit in the frame with the engine in place? I can (easily) remove the carbs, but still not sure (since I don't have the part!) if the airbox will clear the engine and slide between the frame rails?

I'm about to buy an airbox on ebay (in about 4 hours!)...and hoping someone out there might know the answer to this question.

NOTE: I've also found out there are two types of airboxes (if not 3; looking at the gpz stuff) for the 82 KX550...it appears mine is the one that does NOT seperate in half...which is why I'm concerned it won't fit with the engine in the frame.

Thanks in advance for any answers (or guesses!).

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2008 13:57 #230884 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic KZ550 Airbox install (with engine installed!)
Just cannibalized a 650 so I know it can be done on them but it ain't easy. I believe I helped my bro put one in the 900LTD but I think we went in through the rear frame. It's a bear but it's worth it. :(

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
08 Aug 2008 14:08 #230887 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic KZ550 Airbox install (with engine installed!)
If it helps, I fitted an airbox on my Z500, which is quite similar to a 1980 KZ550, with the lump in.[carbs off].:)

1980 KZ500 B2