Front Brake Extreme Squeel

More
27 Jul 2008 05:02 #228489 by Kawifan
Front Brake Extreme Squeel was created by Kawifan
I can't figure this one out. The front brake on my '78 KZ1000 A2A squeels really loudly when engaged. The pads are ok. the disc doesn't feel gouged or scored. It's not a light squeel...it's attention getting. Can't be normal!?

1978 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2008 05:58 #228491 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Front Brake Extreme Squeel
A squeel is actually a high speed vibration, big trick on cars with amazing results is to remove pads and put a thin layer of high temp grease or synthetic disc brake lube (great stuff for everything) on the back of the pads. Also make sure all caliper sliders are clean and lubed. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
27 Jul 2008 09:17 #228520 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Front Brake Extreme Squeel
Bluemeanie wrote:

A squeel is actually a high speed vibration, big trick on cars with amazing results is to remove pads and put a thin layer of high temp grease or synthetic disc brake lube (great stuff for everything) on the back of the pads. Also make sure all caliper sliders are clean and lubed. ;)

this is what worked for me

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
27 Jul 2008 12:48 #228540 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Front Brake Extreme Squeel
Way back when, Mercedes cars used to squeal and they would take the pads off and drill several small holes in them and insert carbon rods like hard graphite. The slight lubricating effect meant the squealing stopped.

The back brake on mine has always squealed, REALLY bad when it's cold then gets quiet after it gets warm. I did all the fixes: putting the blue-goo on the back of the pad, it worked.... for a couple of weeks. I drilled my pads and poured a bit of dry graphite in the holes... wprked until the graphite got used up.

Eventually, I just bought a helmet with better sound insulation.:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin