Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

newbie here 09 Feb 2006 19:53 #22848

• ltdluke80
  • ltdluke80's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
great site. tried the thread thing and didnt have any luck. got an 80 750 ltd(h) and noticed the center stand stop is jerked up and real close to the chain. found a thread that mentioned the stop doubling as a tensioner. does this have a duel purpose? if so is the tensioner needed? appreciate the help!
thanks,
luke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

newbie here 09 Feb 2006 20:00 #22849

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome Luke.

I doubt your centre stand stop would double as your drive chain tensioner. I have never heard of a tensioner on a KZ's drive chain. The drive chain must be adjusted to give the right amount of slack, at it's tightest point when rotating the wheel, of approx 3/4 of an inch.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

newbie here 09 Feb 2006 20:42 #22862

• ltdluke80
  • User
sorry if i cone across as an idiot. i understand the mechanics of the drive but i read someone elses post and thought i was missing something. having said that my stop appears to be misshapen and now rubs the chain in a manner which doesn't look safe>

newbie here 09 Feb 2006 21:05 #22864

• ltdluke80
  • User
maybe tensioner was the wrong word, how bout guide

newbie here 10 Feb 2006 06:37 #22905

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Well... like the ol' country song says,

"You can read a lot of different stories, in a lot of different books... but even then you won't really know"

I suspect your chain should be guided by your center stand. The two chain adjusters in the rear should tension the chain so that it doesn't drag on the stand. There is a lot of advice on this site... some is on the mark and some is frankly, not on the mark.

You mentioned something about a broken bolt but there was no reference. What is the problem?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

newbie here 10 Feb 2006 06:41 #22906

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
My center stand stops will sometimes move into the wrong position and allow the center stand to come up too high. I have aftermarket stops that came with my exhaust. I know this happens periodically, so I watch for it and move the stops back into place. I'm thinking of removing my center stand to save weight and for looks, and just put it on when I need to do service.

You mention guide. Your chain should not rub against anything. If it does, you may have too much slack in it.

There is the chain guard, which keeps your pants/shoe laces or whatever from getting tangled in the chain, as well as keeps some chain lube from flinging all over the place. My chain used to rub on my chain guard sometimes, but my guard was plastic. If your guard is metal, then you definatly don't want it to rub against it.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

newbie here 11 Feb 2006 14:12 #23167

• ltdluke80
  • User
no broken bolt, the center stand stop is all bent up, anyone have one for 80 750 ltd h?

Post edited by: ltdluke80, at: 2006/02/11 17:14

• Page: