making my own clubman/clip-on handlbar abomination?

More
18 Jul 2008 14:09 #226934 by slowman
I couldn't think of a more appropriate name for the title.

I see all these clubmans and clip-ons that I like. I just don't want to pay the money since I'm such a miserly little skinflint.

As illustrated in the picture below, I see no reason why I can't chop the stock bars and just clamp the "new" bars into the top of the triple tree. Then I would set them at a new angle that would emulate clubmans, adjusting all the accessories so they sit like they're supposed to.

Surely if this was do-able people wouldn't bother buying clubmans, they would just do this... right?

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
18 Jul 2008 14:46 #226943 by KOOL RYDER
Hey bro:

The LTD bikes IMHO do not look right with clubmans or clip ons due to the "chopper" styling.

Rather than runnining your stock bars, why dont you throw them on ebay or try to trade them with someone who has a set that they no longer want.

Wanton desruction of anything is not the right way.

Why dont you look for a set of bicyle bars off a mountain bike or try drag bars.

Go to a wreking yard and do a trade in or swap.

I have tried the clubmans on LTD bikes in the past and it really does not fit, straight or drag look awesome however.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
18 Jul 2008 15:12 - 18 Jul 2008 15:15 #226953 by slowman
Do they hit the LTD tank?

That's another thing I wouldn't mind taking care of in the semi near future... I like the looks of the skinnier Z1 tanks or some such tank.

Straight bars... literally straight? That would be as simple as going down to home depot and getting a length of high quality 7/8 steel cut wouldn't it?

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!
Last edit: 18 Jul 2008 15:15 by slowman.

More
18 Jul 2008 15:15 #226954 by rstnick
I've got a brand new flat bar, 28" wide you can have for $15 plus shipping.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2008 15:21 #226955 by slowman
I might be very interested in them!

Things I would be worried about... Do I need longer/shorter cables? Do I need a different master cylinder? Anything else?

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

More
18 Jul 2008 15:52 #226962 by Hagphish
Hate to burst your bubble, but I just bought a brand new clubman bar for 22 bones. Also, I have made a broomstick bar with 3 dollars worth of steel for another bike. It should be dirt to achieve what you want.

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

Whatever puts wind in your face

More
21 Jul 2008 12:24 #227481 by retterath
I have a set of drag bars on my 1980 kz750. Looks bada$$. Had to remove the tach (didn't work anyway) to clear the brake master cylinder and used some old top clamps for risers, but they're on there. Next thing you run into is that unless you're 4'11", all you can see in the mirrors is shoulder.

More
21 Jul 2008 14:24 #227496 by slowman
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your bike with the drag bars would you?

I am nearly 6 foot... it wouldn't be a problem because I never use my mirrors. I always head check. Mirrors only tell you what ISN'T a threat, so I never trust them.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

More
21 Jul 2008 16:07 #227513 by Hagphish
I will encourage you too try a broomstick/ straight bars. You NEVER see people running them and they look really sweet. Although it will take some time getting used to, you can find a length of 7/8" tube at any discount steel yard or equivelant. Also you won't have any issues with clearance because you can decide how long or short to make them. Just my 2 pennies worth.

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

Whatever puts wind in your face

More
21 Jul 2008 19:36 #227544 by slowman
I'll look into this in the near future and keep you guys updated.

Do I have to drill any special holes or anything for the new bar? I've never taken apart the bar assembly on a KZ.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

More
22 Jul 2008 09:24 - 22 Jul 2008 09:31 #227641 by rstnick
If your running the wires through the bars, then you may have to drill/grind holes in the new bars if there are none presently.
You can also notch the switch cases to allow the wires to run outside the bars.

Are you interested in my flat bars above?
Someone else is.

Things I would be worried about... Do I need longer/shorter cables? Do I need a different master cylinder? Anything else?

You can use the existing cables. They will be too long, and need to be routed to suit your taste. They sometimes stick out front somewhat. You can try finding shorter ones if you want.
The master cylinder will sit flat now, so if you have the type that's on an angle, not sure if yours will work well.

Edit: Just looked at your picture above and it looks like your MC will be fine.

Also if you have turn signals mounted to the handle bars, those will have to be remounted/moved.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 22 Jul 2008 09:31 by rstnick.

More
22 Jul 2008 09:58 #227645 by Locozuna
Do not cut your existing bar. The reason your bar is stable is that it is one bar with two mounts. Half a bar with one mounting point will be unstable. Might seem ok until the one hard stop with your weight transferring to them. If you want clubmans get them....if you want straight get straight but make sure you have 2 mounting points or get clipons. It's not worth experimental fabrication when sliding down the road can result.
The pipe idea seems fine but don't cheap out on the stock. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"