Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings?

More
16 Jul 2008 17:42 #226591 by HerrDeacon
Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings? was created by HerrDeacon
I posted a little while ago about some rear wheel wobble that I was experiencing when braking or cornering. I then replaced the swing arm bearings and this helped a bit, but I'm still having some problems, especially when I apply the rear brake. The rear tire feels like it kicks to the right when I apply the brakes. I'm next going to try replacing the rear wheel bearings to see if this helps, and so just wanted to confirm that the following were the correct bearings and associated parts for a 1978 KZ650 D1:

- Wheel Bearing Seal - Kawasaki Yamaha
AB30-4702

- Wheel Bearing - 6206-2RS

- Wheel Bearing - 6303-2RS ( X 2 )

- Wheel Bearing Drive Flange Seal

Here is the parts diagram I'm working off. I'm thinking I'll needs parts numbers: 9, 11, 17 (x 2), and 22.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2008 19:41 #226628 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings?
Before you install the bearings, pick off the rubber seal on the bearing and grease it yourself. I decided to open up my new ones on a whim, and it looked like it was lubed with baby oil. I didn't like that so I packed it myself. The rubber side seals are easy to re-install..

Use a drift and a hammer to pound out the bearings. On the rear wheel with the spacer, #20; that spacer makes it hard to catch the inner race with the drift, just keep at it.

Putting the bearings in the freezer for a few hours may help them install easier, as would heating the wheel with a propane torch in the area the bearings sit.

Find a socket the same O.D. as the bearing to tap them back in. You don't want to tap on the inner race at all. (Except when you remove them for good.) If you don't have a socket try a piece of PVC pipe, or a block of wood. You need something to spread the force evenly, as you shouldn't just hit them with a hammer. Keep your eye on it, they can still go in slanted and that's not good. If it does you'll have to pound it back out. The freezing/heating will give them some room to go in straight.

Don't forget to install #20, the spacer. Really, it happens. :blush:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
16 Jul 2008 20:36 #226634 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings?
I'm not sure it's necessary to fool with sealed bearings. You'd think the manufacturer would know how much and what kind of grease to put inside. I don't know and don't mean to argue, but just my thoughts. The 6203-2RS is used in a lot of applications. Bearings on my KZ1000MKII with 80,000 miles have had no problem. They used them on my Ford F350 Diesel too on the engine for the serpentine belt tensioner pulleys. These go 100,000 miles typically. Like anything look at the manufacturer and try not to buy cheap Chinese bearings, you can buy Timken bearings or other quality for a few bucks so why work with cheaper bearings.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
17 Jul 2008 17:19 #226774 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings?
Thanks guys for the tips. I used the freezer and torch method to install the swing arm bearings, went really smooth.

Before I order the parts listed above, just wondering if they are the correct ones. Meaning do the Z1 parts I listed match up with the numbered items I noted in the diagram? Just want to make sure before ordering.

More
17 Jul 2008 18:32 #226787 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings?
Actually 6203-2RS are not the wheel bearings used in 1978. In 1978 they didn't use sealed bearings, they used open bearings where you could grease them yourself. This may or may not be to your liking. in 1979 they went to sealed bearings. So 78 would be a 6203-? Too lazy to look through bearings right now. I've never replaced a wheel bearing yet on any of my KZs past or present.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
10 Sep 2011 11:01 #475637 by maiken
Replied by maiken on topic Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings?
I realize it's been awhile since this was posted, but I'm having the same issue w/ my '78 kz650sr (D1A). Curious if you ever resolved the issue? and if so what was it? I had already planned to go the same route you mentioned. I have the swing arm bearings to replace and am getting ready to order rear wheel bearings as well.
Any further tips would be greatly appreciated!

You didn't happen to sell your kz (in Indiana) did you?

More
10 Sep 2011 12:14 - 22 Jan 2013 03:47 #475653 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic .
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 03:47 by martin_csr.

More
10 Sep 2011 20:08 #475771 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Are These the Correct Rear Wheel Bearings?
Yes, replacing the rear wheel bearings did the trick. I think on my bike both the swingarm and wheel bearings were both adding to the wobble. Replacing both fixed it, much nicer and safer feeling. The only tip I can give is to put the bearings in the freezer for a bit and heat the wheel up, makes installation much easier. Take your time as well so you don't damage the bearing. Also, when installing the bearings, ensure the side with the words on it is facing outwards, this is the harder side and so best to be banging on. Best of luck.

No, I sold it in Newfoundland. Almost a year ago now :(