Hum drum stopping

More
10 Jul 2008 19:11 #225431 by alexgehrig
Hum drum stopping was created by alexgehrig
My new to me kz650 F1 is providing me with some unimpressive stopping power. There's plenty of pad on the (I assume) stockers and i've bled it for good measure with perhaps some improvement. The first 1/4 lever action provides decent stopping but thereafter even great amounts of squeeze get about the same response. I know a similar problem was just posted with a 750, though my problem doesn't seem as severe. Just wanted to see what ya'll thought I should do next before I dig into the MC or order a braided brake line. If the master is bypassing internally does this mean a bad piston?

Good to be here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2008 06:35 #225508 by alexgehrig
Replied by alexgehrig on topic Hum drum stopping
Just to be clear - the brakes don't actually feel spongy, lever feel is pretty good, its just not translating into good stopping power which is why I'm perplexed. If the lever bottomed out or just pulled in too easily I'd assume air in the system and keep bleeding but it feels about right.

More
11 Jul 2008 06:42 #225512 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Hum drum stopping
Might want to consider your pads. Different pads (semi metallic, organic, asbestos free, etc) can give differtent "feel" and "stopping" power. Don't remember what's on my single disc F1 but it stops real hard, even with two fingers.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Jul 2008 06:57 #225518 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Hum drum stopping
Well if the piston was bypassing, you'd get no lever at all, or it would slowly bleed down while you're trying to stop.
If it was me, I'd take the pads out and see if they're glazed, then sand them on some 80 grit paper, and try them out.
If that didn't work, I'd ask one of these KZ gurus, if maybe somebody installed an MC on your bike from another bike that had two discs. Different piston sizes.

More
11 Jul 2008 10:46 #225557 by cmmman
Replied by cmmman on topic Hum drum stopping
You may have oil or something on the rotors. I would clean with brake cleaner and deglaze the rotor also. :)

1977 KZ650B, modified.

More
11 Jul 2008 11:17 #225569 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Hum drum stopping
cmmman wrote:

You may have oil or something on the rotors. I would clean with brake cleaner and deglaze the rotor also. :)

+1, cmmman.
Try cleaning first. The front brake should be able to lock up your wheel, if you grab a handful.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Jul 2008 12:44 #225581 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Hum drum stopping
Yes, cleaning too, but if you have some kind of fluid on your front pads, it would almost have to be brake fluid, in which case, you'll need more than we've suggested so far.
Rebuild kit, new lines, copper washers etc.
I just consider the front brake THE most important system on the bike...

More
13 Jul 2008 16:43 #225962 by alexgehrig
Replied by alexgehrig on topic Hum drum stopping
yep there was fluid on the pads and in the caliper and on the rotor. Anybody know where to get a good rebuild kit?

More
14 Jul 2008 05:34 #226032 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Hum drum stopping
Call Z1 Enterprises at 315-926-5054, very nice people for sure. They can set you up with anything you need.. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
14 Jul 2008 13:28 #226122 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Hum drum stopping
A suggestion would be to replace all of the front brake lines as they age and will swell/expand every time the brakes are applied giving you that great underwellming responce.

Two places I can think of for brake lines:
www.bikebandit.com
www.oldbikebarn.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)