Front brakes spongy????

More
10 Jul 2008 05:52 #225313 by Born Dead
Front brakes spongy???? was created by Born Dead
Hey all,

I know this is a beat to death topic, but I'm going to lose my shit if I don't get this figured out soon. I've got dual disc brakes on a ZN 750 LTD, and I bled them over and over with no results. The lever doesn't seem to have any pressure in it. I've bled them over and over, many different ways as I found suggestions on this board and others. I've had the M/C apart to make sure nothing was leaking and reuilt it also. Both pistons in the caliper are working fine, and the hose's are in good shape. But it seems that after I start getting some pressure in the lever, it goes away after it sits for a bit. Pumping it helps but it seems like there is still air in the lines. Any ideas on how to get these brake to feel like they are working, I can pull the lever in all the way to the throttle and still push the bike? After a week of bleeding i'm losing it!!! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2008 06:10 - 10 Jul 2008 06:11 #225319 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Front brakes spongy????
I usually strap a tie wrap around the throttle grip and brake lever (pulled tight as possible), crack the MC lid and let it sit over night. That does it for me most of the time.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)
Last edit: 10 Jul 2008 06:11 by mariozappa.

More
10 Jul 2008 18:17 - 10 Jul 2008 18:21 #225416 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Front brakes spongy????
Someone(I'm sure they will)correct me if I am wrong, but bleeding these brakes always seem to be a hassle. Is there any reason that they couldn't be filled with fluid from the bottom up? Use a clean pump oil can or a plastic squeeze bottle? If there are no check valves anywhere, that would push the air out the reservoir.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650
Last edit: 10 Jul 2008 18:21 by saltydog. Reason: I want to receive emails of any replies

More
10 Jul 2008 19:32 #225437 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Front brakes spongy????
I have a small rectangle of plastic about 6 x 2 and I flick the lines to shock them. I also sip tie the lever and crack the cap over night. Did you power bleed them. I have never had to but have heard of some that have. GLuck

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
11 Jul 2008 13:18 #225588 by Born Dead
Replied by Born Dead on topic Front brakes spongy????
Did the zip tie trick. Worked like a charm!!! Got brakes now , time to hit the road...
Thanks to all for the info..:)

More
16 Jul 2008 19:46 #226629 by wilsonap176
Replied by wilsonap176 on topic Front brakes spongy????
Greetings all, I have read many of the ideas posted here regarding this problem. A quick disclaimer, I am not a mechanic, but this is what worked for me. I have a '78 KZ650 and I replaced the plunger and a couple of other parts that I could find for my leaking master cylinder (single, not duel). After I replaced these parts, no pressure. I tried almost everything short of removing the master and slave unit. I ended up purchasing a 60cc syringe; tie rapped the brake lever, filled the reservoir, opened the bleeder valve and began removing all of the air. After two attempts, I had great pressure and was able to bleed the slave unit as normal. This only took about ten minutes (after a week of missing around with the other ways). I hope that this help everyone. I bought the syringe at Wal-Mart in the automotive section; it is used for mixing two cycle oil. Good luck if you run into the situation.