Anyone got a spare helmet lock bracket (or two)?

More
09 Jul 2008 20:51 #225273 by stagchr
OK, so I'm trying to get my '81 kz550 ltd back to stock - the PO put a Vetter Windjammer, trunk, and panniers on it, and didn't bother to keep the original bits. :S
The last part I haven't reset is the rear grab bar - there was a sort of luggage rack. It had two helmet-style locks bolted to the rear, and I decided a few weeks ago to try the ignition key in them. What the heck, right?

Surprise - those rear locks are keyed to the ignition!

Turns out the PO had pulled the helmet locks from the frame and bolted them to the back of the luggage rack. So now I have two helmet locks, and no way to attach them to the bike. I'm pretty sure there's a bracket that the locks screw into, and that bracket is bolted to the frame. But I'm having a heckuva time finding those brackets. You guys seem helpful...any ideas? :P

Oh, and if you're interested in the fairing/trunk/panniers, let me know.

Lincoln, NE
1981 KZ550C
1982 KZ305 CSR (once upon a time)

\\\\\\\"Is that helmet full of idiot? Why is it on your shoulders?\\\\\\\"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
10 Jul 2008 04:25 - 10 Jul 2008 04:26 #225301 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Anyone got a spare helmet lock bracket (or two)?
You won't find any brackets for sale because the brackets are part of the frame. Look behind the upper rear shock mounts to see if they are still attached to the frame. It's possible the PO cut them off in order to install the bags but maybe not. The locks should bolt to these brackets with 2 6mm bolts.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Last edit: 10 Jul 2008 04:26 by The Gringo.

More
10 Jul 2008 06:44 #225324 by IowaKZ
what's the fairing model? SS? VI? V? is it in good shape?

where are you located?

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
10 Jul 2008 22:45 #225465 by stagchr

You won't find any brackets for sale because the brackets are part of the frame. Look behind the upper rear shock mounts to see if they are still attached to the frame. It's possible the PO cut them off in order to install the bags but maybe not. The locks should bolt to these brackets with 2 6mm bolts.

I'm not sure about that - the tabs on the frame are still there. Problem is, the only bolt holes are located on top, under the seat - there's a steel bracket that's shaped kind of like an over-the-door coat hanger that goes between the tab on the frame and the lock itself. At least that was the case on my old kz305. I could be wrong! :) And it doesn't help that I'm in the middle of moving, and my bike's in a different town for a few weeks. :S

what's the fairing model? SS? VI? V? is it in good shape?

where are you located?

Thanks for letting me know I need to update my signature. I'm in Lincoln, NE, but the fairing is out in the boondocks. I'll work on getting some more info this weekend.

Lincoln, NE
1981 KZ550C
1982 KZ305 CSR (once upon a time)

\\\\\\\"Is that helmet full of idiot? Why is it on your shoulders?\\\\\\\"