Shock mounts

More
07 Jul 2008 04:14 #224582 by cherrymetal
Shock mounts was created by cherrymetal
As part of my ongoing saga of fitting this Zephyr swingarm into my '78 650 frame, the next problem is the shock alignment.

What have people done to correctly mount the top of the shocks?

The swingarm shock mounts are further apart than the top ones and when the shocks are fitted they are not perfectly square to frame and swingarm (by quite a bit).

I don't think there is enough space just to fit spacers behind the shocks at the top.

I did notice that on the back of the mounts is a piece of hollow tubing, I'm thinking if I cut off the shock mounts, then drill through the hollow tubing, I could then use bolts that are then the correct length, and just weld the bolts in place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2008 07:10 #224609 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Shock mounts
how about new mounts on swngarm?those poor frames are already under a lot of tension from all the welding done on them at factory,unless of course you have some way of keeping everything from moving like frame jig where you can atleast measure things as you go ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Jul 2008 07:41 #224619 by cherrymetal
Replied by cherrymetal on topic Shock mounts
I don't want to change the position of the mounts, just need them to be further outboard from the frame than where they currently are, plus the swingarm is aluminium, and I don't have the capability to ally weld, but can weld steel.

The bolt through the frame will be (or could be) through the sleeve that you can see from inboard of the frame (back of top shock mount), so could probably get away without welding at all, just thought it would be best to locate it with a bead of weld, to give it some stiffness.