Mismatched Tires

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
05 Jul 2008 11:25 #224248 by PFC FNG
Mismatched Tires was created by PFC FNG
Just to get it out of the way, I HAVE USED SEARCH!!

Having said that I need to know if using a different tire on the front thsn in the back will cause any mechanical or structural failure in any component and what kind of effects I can expect. I can deal with the whole shitty handling thing until I can afford another tire. Assuming I can ride with this shortcoming under consideration, would this be dangerous?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2008 12:49 #224252 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Mismatched Tires
can you deal with laying the bike down? not trying to give you grief but as youll find most on here wouldnt even think of doing it. different tire compounds and tread designs act differently and when you mix them you may have one that sticks real well and another that just slips out from under you when you least expect it to. i always have run matched sets of tires from the same manufacturer. just sage advice. its your choice. if you do it please be careful at speed...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jul 2008 13:57 #224258 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Mismatched Tires
I don't plan on going at speed. 40 mph max. I just need my DD back to get to and from work. That being said, I am not afraid to lay the bike down, it already has damaged fairings and so forth from the PO. But I would rather avoid it if I can.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
Eastpoint, Mi

More
05 Jul 2008 14:26 #224266 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Mismatched Tires
I'm glad I never knew how dangerous it was since I have been running unmatched fronts and rears for maybe 25 years now....:laugh: I think I have a Cheng Shin front and a Dunlop rear on it at the moment.

I don't push the handling much, so maybe I never got into the zone where it matters.;)

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Jul 2008 14:30 - 05 Jul 2008 14:32 #224268 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Mismatched Tires
PFC FNG wrote:

I don't plan on going at speed. 40 mph max. I just need my DD back to get to and from work. That being said, I am not afraid to lay the bike down, it already has damaged fairings and so forth from the PO. But I would rather avoid it if I can.

The only time I got surprised was the first time I changed the tires from the stock ones to Avon roadrunners. The first time I went into a turn and set the lean as usual, the bike seemed to try to dive downward. I corrected immediately but the change caught me off guard. I'd say anytime you change tires, be careful until you get used to the difference in handling.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Jul 2008 14:32 by bountyhunter.

More
05 Jul 2008 15:15 #224274 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Mismatched Tires
Yea, they definately feel a lot different after changing tires. I've ran many a mismatched tire too over the years and don't see a problem either. For years I ran whatever tires I could yank off junked out bikes sitting in the shed.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Jul 2008 17:06 #224285 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Mismatched Tires
what kind of a combination are you planning to use?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jul 2008 20:11 #224318 by PFC FNG
I have a brand new BT45 for the rear (wrecked the front on install; see my other thread). Metzeler "Metz- something or other" on the front. I normally push it quite a bit, but I won't be doing any of that with this combination.

Eastpoint, Mi

More
05 Jul 2008 20:54 #224322 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Mismatched Tires
If you are talking about the ME-33 Lazer on front and BT45 rear, I have seen that combo and they seemed to work well together.

KD9JUR

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jul 2008 21:38 #224325 by PFC FNG
It's not a lazer, those where on my old KZ. They read something like METZPerfect or something similar.

Eastpoint, Mi

More
05 Jul 2008 22:47 #224334 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Mismatched Tires
Don't worry about it. As long as the tire on front is good and grabs when you hit the brakes. Mine are matched dunlops and I can't stand them as they don't grab well and they take the imperfections in the road not so well. Especially when going over grated bridges. I believe in buying the best tires that you can get. Cheap insurance as two wheels are not as good as four when one slips or goes out. But if you are just going back and forth to work and not cornering hard then you should be fine until you get them matched. They all grab differently for sure and each is completely different it seems. Scary at first until you get used to how they grab. Will mismatched tires grab differently? Sure. Will they not be as good as a matched set? Sure. They can and it also may not matter as long as they are similar. Do you notice a difference in handling? No? Then just ride until you can afford. If you haven't bought the best tires on the market and I am sure there are several you should try it. You get what you pay for. I remember thinking cheap on my bicycle until I rode a really great set of super expensive tires for bicycle and found that they handled better rode better quicker and lasted years longer instead of picking up every piece of road debris and going flat. A fifty dollar tire outlasted outrode and outperformed the 12-20 dollar tires I used to buy. I spent more in the short run repeatedly buying inexpensive tires than I did by spending a little more on good ones. Motorcycle tires are no different except that you go much faster which is much more of a reason to get the best you can get. Many disagree but I say when you get a flat at 100+ miles an hour you will think differently later.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
06 Jul 2008 20:16 #224554 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Mismatched Tires
saxjonz wrote:

Don't worry about it. As long as the tire on front is good and grabs when you hit the brakes. Mine are matched dunlops and I can't stand them as they don't grab well and they take the imperfections in the road not so well. Especially when going over grated bridges. I believe in buying the best tires that you can get. Cheap insurance as two wheels are not as good as four when one slips or goes out. But if you are just going back and forth to work and not cornering hard then you should be fine until you get them matched. They all grab differently for sure and each is completely different it seems. Scary at first until you get used to how they grab. Will mismatched tires grab differently? Sure. Will they not be as good as a matched set? Sure. They can and it also may not matter as long as they are similar. Do you notice a difference in handling? No? Then just ride until you can afford. If you haven't bought the best tires on the market and I am sure there are several you should try it. You get what you pay for. I remember thinking cheap on my bicycle until I rode a really great set of super expensive tires for bicycle and found that they handled better rode better quicker and lasted years longer instead of picking up every piece of road debris and going flat. A fifty dollar tire outlasted outrode and outperformed the 12-20 dollar tires I used to buy. I spent more in the short run repeatedly buying inexpensive tires than I did by spending a little more on good ones. Motorcycle tires are no different except that you go much faster which is much more of a reason to get the best you can get. Many disagree but I say when you get a flat at 100+ miles an hour you will think differently later.

ditto,that little bit of rubber is what holds you to the road.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.