Rear Brake Drag

More
30 Jun 2008 19:54 #223191 by SuperTrey
Rear Brake Drag was created by SuperTrey
Lately, if I let my bike (78 kz1000 a2) sit longer than a few days, the rear pedal gets sticky. After a little while, it limbers back up, but get down on it hard, and it sticks. Plus, it doesn't feel as though it has a lot of strength to the braking.
Today the brakes were dragging some all the way home from work (12 miles), to the point where only slight front pressure was necessary to stop.
I noticed some fluid on the master cylinder, I suspect that the master cylinder is the culprit.

Ideas?

Where can I buy a good master cylinder? I have tried rebuild kits once before with very little success.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2008 22:48 #223228 by cmmman
Replied by cmmman on topic Rear Brake Drag
Im not familiar w/ the 1000's, but I once had a problem with my 650 where the brake pedal pivots it goes throught the frame. The pivot point got some corrosion in it and siezed up. I had to remove the pedal and pound the shaft that goes through the frame out, cleaned it up and greased it and its like new.

Just something to check first. :)

1977 KZ650B, modified.

More
01 Jul 2008 20:21 #223410 by SuperTrey
Replied by SuperTrey on topic Rear Brake Drag
Thanks CMMMAN! That was the problem. The pivot shaft was very rusty. This was also causing the dragging by not allowing the pedal spring to return the pedal to full off.

I polished both the shaft and the inside of the pedal and up to 400 grit sandpaper till they gleamed. Then a light coat of wheel bearing grease and it works smooth as can be with instant return when you let your foot off.

Thanks again!

More
01 Jul 2008 23:03 #223431 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Rear Brake Drag
I'm having the same problem on my 77 1000. It was so bad coming back from Canada last week I could smell the burning pads. When I pullled over the pads were smoking. :blink: I was going to rebuild the caliper this weekend but I think I'll try that first. Also I think it has the original brake fluid in it so that will get changed also.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125