NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION

More
27 Jun 2008 09:03 #222504 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
The age of the old tires will determine how hard it will be to change them. Getting them off can be a bear if they are ancient & hard. Get the tire irons and give it a try or youll never know. If it has spoke wheels watch the rim locks pinching the tubes. If it has cast wheels make or buy some rim guards so you dont booger them all up

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2008 11:44 #222516 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
Changing a tire can be frustrating. Everybody knows someone who does it with a couple screwdrivers but if you try and change a 15" or 16" touring bike tire, even using a tire machine can be frustrating. A 19" rim is much easier for some reason. I would rather pay somebody else to do it even though I can just because it is such a pain. The biggest advantage with a tire machine (mine is manual) is that you have a 3' tire iron that gives you leverage and a decent way of holding the tire in place while you grunt. I have found that soapy water tends to rust the inside of chromed rims... not sure that the tire lubricant is much better but I use that stuff. And in case the do-it-yourselfer doesn't know this, you can't seat the bead of a tire using a bicycle air pump. A good sized compressor is needed and some know-how here as well. They make blow up contraptions that go around the installed tire and you blow them up; they shove the bead outwards towards the rim and these things do work decently but some tires are just TOUGH... Others seat easily. Dunno why. My advice is to take it to a shop. Don't watch the guy who does the work because if it goes easy, you were robbed... unless you have done it yourself and know what a PAIN it can be.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Jun 2008 12:10 #222530 by steell
Replied by steell on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
The larger the rim diameter the easier it is to remove and install the tire. 6"-8" garden tractor tires are a real pain, 24" big truck tires are a breeze, motorcycle tires fall somewhere in between.

Use tire irons, they're cheap and will last several lifetimes (your great-great grandkids can use them), don't even think about using screwdrivers unless you want to ding your rims.

Use a large C-clamp to break the bead on tubeless tires, unless you have a tire changer.

Seating the bead on new tubeless tires is "usually" pretty easy, used tires will give you fits sometimes.

I've changed everything from garden tractor tires to the huge earthmover tires, so motorcycle tires are a breeze (and I have tire irons and a tire changer, but on motorcycle tires I just use the tire changer to break the bead).

KD9JUR

More
27 Jun 2008 12:10 #222531 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
JMKZHI wrote:

Then I tried the rear. I got half the tire on & one rim stopper in, but that's as far as I could take it. So CycleGear finished the job.

Here's a trick on rears: the rim strips (to protect the tube from the ends of the spokes) are a royal pain if you are trying to make them go OVER the rim lock blocks. I used to cut a hole in the rim strip for it's bolt and let the rim lock lay on top of it. The rim lock is rubber so it doesn't hurt to let the tube run across it. That makes it a little easier to manipulate the rim locks.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Jun 2008 12:52 - 04 Dec 2008 06:55 #222539 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 06:55 by JMKZHI.

More
27 Jun 2008 17:12 #222589 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
JMKZHI wrote:

Nope. The problem was the tire - the bead on the GT501 is hard & was killing my hands as I tried to manuever the rim stoppers & tube in there. I installed the rim strip first after using a hole puncher to make some holes for the stopper stems.

This is wisdom....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Jun 2008 18:25 #222594 by jp_goody
Replied by jp_goody on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
WOW, tire changing is a passionate subject. Im preparing myself and vow not to get really pissed off!! haha.

Im a converted car nut so ive got the compressor. Will check the local shop for some tire irons.

Oh, one more question. The bike is a shaft drive...will I loose fluid when removing the rear wheel????

Again, thanks a ton for the insight guys.

More
27 Jun 2008 19:21 - 04 Dec 2008 06:57 #222599 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 06:57 by JMKZHI.

More
27 Jun 2008 20:45 #222612 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
No fluids will come out when removing the rear tire. You need to get the rear tire up off the ground. Centerstand won't do it. You need a lift or if you use the centerstand, you could tie the front tire down good. Anyway, remove the axle nut, make sure you pay attention to washers/spacers and tap out the axle. Once you get the axle out, if sitting behind the tire, pull it to the right to free it from the fingers in the final drive. There is no oil in the final drive where it connects to the rim... only grease.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Jun 2008 21:39 #222619 by jp_goody
Ahhhhh F-it!!!!!!! Sorry guys, i gave a noble effort.

It was quite the sceen had youd seen it. Its thundering and lighting like hell her in KC MO tonight. Flashing in the windows, HIST channel on the TV, (yes, all garages should have cable for the HIST channel) And Im sweatin my A$$ off with SEVERAL different screw drivers, pokers, and a odd curved hook thingys I found tonight at the store. (Nope, couldnt find a tire iron!!) All was a wash.

The current tires are not worn, just dry-rotted as hell and VERY VERY VERY hard. Plus I had no idea how deep/long the dang lip was gonna be.

TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SUCEEDED....YOU ARE TRUE MEN MY FRIENDS! The only thing i have to be proud of was my setup I had workin for me....pic below. TTYL guys.-jason
[img] [img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn112/jp_goody/06-27-08_2229.jpg[/img] [img]

More
27 Jun 2008 21:53 #222621 by jp_goody
Thnks by the way wireddog..thats great.

More
28 Jun 2008 03:28 #222636 by steell
Replied by steell on topic NEW TIRES!!!! GOT A QUESTION
My Nephew (GPzInfested) and I are going to install GT501's on his 750 Turbo today, maybe I should take and post some pics?

I'll probably let him do all the work while I supervise :D :D

KD9JUR