Brakes clicking - goes away when I pull on the brake lever?

More
25 Jun 2008 19:29 #222186 by slowman
1979 KZ1000 B LTD

Front brakes are making a click click click click from around 10 mph on up. This noise goes away as soon as I apply the front brakes.

At first it sounded like a tapping valve or a timing chain with some slack in it, then I just gave the front brakes a tap and the sound was GONE.

I'm guessing that a pad is not staying in place, and is rattling against the disc as its moving. Is this a common problem?

I'm definitely not new to mechanical things, but I've never torn into a motorcycle before.

I would appreciate any insight on this, thanks!

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2008 19:51 #222192 by PLUMMEN
sounds like brake pads are either loose or not releasing.putting pressure on brakes holds them against rotor so they cant rattle.id check the inside pads 1st to make sure the retaining screws are tight if thats not it id say pull the calipers and check the pads ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Jun 2008 21:54 #222229 by Sandy
Try removing the pads,and put a little silicone on the back of the them.That might help if it IS a vibration issue.
You might have even picked up a chunk of something,and it's stuck between the pad and the rotor.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
26 Jun 2008 03:55 #222259 by slowman
Thanks, I'll be checking this out before I go to work this morning. Its ok of the bike gets tied up in repairs for a little while as it is supposed to rain these next couple days. :)

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

More
26 Jun 2008 05:33 #222265 by slowman
So I just sort of messed with it earlier...

I took the calipers off, pushed in the piston, and reinstalled the calipers. It seemed to fix it, but I know this will only be temporary. It does however tell me that I need to put some anti-squeek or vibration dampening compound on the back of the pads.

Thanks. :)

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

More
26 Jun 2008 22:48 #222457 by apeman
Speaking from experience, I suggest you do a thorough check for play in the front wheel. There should be absolutely none. If there is any, you need to replace the front wheel bearings. Don't wait for it to get any worse.

Pulling on the brake lever stops the wheel wobbling, and quiets it down.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.