leaking forks

• minedetector79
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2008 22:34 #220829 by minedetector79
leaking forks was created by minedetector79
Iv got an 84' kx700 and both front forks are leaking. i was going to add some fork oil but there is no pin for my greese gun to attach to ( I could do this with my old Harley). I think i know where to put the oil in, at the top just below the key ignition, they have little black covers on them and they look like the same receptical as a valve for putting air in my tires. where can i get an adapter? better yet is that where the fork oil goes?

I know i need to chainge the seals, I am getting some soon, and im pretty good at working on my own bikes, but how hard is it chainge the seals?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2008 00:06 #220848 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic leaking forks
I tried looking up your bike on Kawasaki.com and couldn't find any info on it. For your oil you need to find out how much is in there before you put any in. You either have to measure how much you have or dump them out and start from scratch. You need a manual or you can call the dealer to find out how much you need to have in there. You will have to let the air out if there is any left and then unscrew the tops off the forks to check them. As for the forks you might need a manual. If they are like the forks on the older kz's you can change the seals pretty easy. On my bike I remove the forks, take a wood dowel, cut at a 45 on one end, stick it down in the fork to hole the "valve" (I forgot what it is called) while I hit the allen head bolt in the end of the fork where the axle sits with the air ratchet. That will loosen the allen bolt and then you can slide the inner fork out to get to the seal. Use a big screwdriver to get the seal out. put the new one in drive it hole and put it back together. Fill with the right oil to the right level and you good. It sounds harder than it is.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• minedetector79
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2008 21:59 #221048 by minedetector79
Replied by minedetector79 on topic leaking forks
sorry it i put the wrong letter in there it is suppost to be a 1984 kz700

• minedetector79
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2008 22:00 #221049 by minedetector79
Replied by minedetector79 on topic leaking forks
thanks for the advice

More
19 Jun 2008 23:30 #221053 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic leaking forks
Hey bud, those receptacles that look like air fittings, are air fittings. You cant put oil in thru there, but that cap is what you need to get off to start to get the shocks apart and put oil in. You drain the air from there before you take the shocks apart or your cap will make an excellent ninja flying star. And when you refill the air, use a bicycle pump or a low pressure pump, or you could blow out the seals.