Finally have brakes again

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
11 Jun 2008 20:27 #219499 by IowaKZ
Finally have brakes again was created by IowaKZ
As you might have read (or not), I've been fighting with my front brakes for about 3 weeks. new pads and cleaned up and painted calipers. However, I had a slow bleed going on when I held in the lever. Thanks to you all, I learned that the master piston probably had a problem. So I got a new one from Z1 (fast shipping). It came on Monday, but I didn't get a chance to put it on until tonight. My wife as after me to put it on because she wanted a ride (love her).

So I drained the master, popped it off, put in the new piston (went right in, unlike the old one), remounted it, topped off the fluid, worked out the air bubbles and sealed it up. (I for once had the foresight to tape my main brake line to my handle bar so I didn't lose any fluid or put air into the line).

I tested it a bit then we went for a ride. about a mile from the house, she grabs my arm and looks back real fast. I asked her what the problem was and she said she heard a sound like we ran over something or something fell off. (Oh S***). So I turned around and went back and found an old metal spoon in the road that I didn't see and ran over so no harm no foul (don't know how I missed it, must have been dodging pot holes).

We had a nice ride down by the river to look at the high water. when we got home I was putting the bike away and noticed that when I rolled the bike forward, there was a vibration coming from one of the calipers. So I put the bike up on the center stand and sure enough, there is a little rubbing or dragging going on. I can't see any movement in the disc, but there must be because it happens in the same place every time. I think it must be dragging and the pad vibrating in the holder. It sounds like a duck quacking or a fart.

Anyone have a farting front brake? Is this something to worry about or is it just something that will go away as it wears in?

Great night for a ride. didn't like to end up with another concern.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2008 11:54 #219645 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Finally have brakes again
sounds like you have a rotor that is out of round, or ont true, get the front wheel off the ground and clamp something at the rotor and rotate it, if its out of true you will see it.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
14 Jun 2008 16:06 #220019 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Finally have brakes again
Rotor is out of round. Or maybe a better description is off flat / warped.

Now I need to find a place to get it turned down. didn't i read somewhere that these discs are harder then car brakes and regular placed didn't have the equipment to turn them?

Come to think of it, I think I read this in an ad for a place that did brakes so who knows?

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
15 Jun 2008 00:48 #220108 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic Finally have brakes again
Just take ti to a machine shop. When I turn mine down in August I'm just gonna stick them on a lathe and go mad with a carbide tool.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels