Source for new/used KZP rotors

More
10 Jun 2008 09:47 #219135 by LeeLewis7
Source for new/used KZP rotors was created by LeeLewis7
Discovered last night the rotors off the '84 KZP resto are below spec. Don't really want to pay $250 plus (babbitt's) for a new set (there goes my powder coating money). The front wheel are unique to the late KZPs (except for maybe the KZ1300?), so I'm guessing the rotors are, too.

Aside from eBay, any suggestions for an alternate?

Chattanooga, TN
1984 KZ1000 P3 (Blue Shift)
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...8353&catid=11#218353

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2008 12:07 #219158 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Source for new/used KZP rotors
Check the auto dismantler sites. I used to have some bookmarked but I no longer have access to my other computer. Every bike you can think of has been wrecked by somebody, and they sell the parts out cheap.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Jun 2008 16:37 #219210 by LeeLewis7
Replied by LeeLewis7 on topic Source for new/used KZP rotors
Thanks, bountyhunter. I've used m/c junkyards before, but the big problem seems to be those unique wheels and rotors. When I got this bike from my brother a couple years ago, it had a severly bent front wheel. Took me awhile to find one, and when I did on eBay it cost $140+, IIRC. Too bad the wheel didn't come with rotors.
There are actually a couple decent yards less than two hours drive from here (chattanooga, tn), but they are...how shall I say....self service. You'd best know exactly what you need, wear your dirtiest shop clothes and take some hand cleaner/shop rags with you. Good deals to be had, though, and God Bless'em for the resources they provide.

Anyhoo, just this afternoon I found a set of KZP rotors from a junked '92 model on eBay. I've emailed the seller concerning the thickness, and hopefully the response will be good news.

Chattanooga, TN

More
10 Jun 2008 21:43 #219265 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Source for new/used KZP rotors
LeeLewis7 wrote:

Thanks, bountyhunter. I've used m/c junkyards before, but the big problem seems to be those unique wheels and rotors. When I got this bike from my brother a couple years ago, it had a severly bent front wheel. Took me awhile to find one, and when I did on eBay it cost $140+, IIRC. Too bad the wheel didn't come with rotors.
There are actually a couple decent yards less than two hours drive from here (chattanooga, tn), but they are...how shall I say....self service. You'd best know exactly what you need, wear your dirtiest shop clothes and take some hand cleaner/shop rags with you. Good deals to be had, though, and God Bless'em for the resources they provide.

Anyhoo, just this afternoon I found a set of KZP rotors from a junked '92 model on eBay. I've emailed the seller concerning the thickness, and hopefully the response will be good news.

If the rotors are really a pain, I've seen people here replace the whole front end to get new caliper and rotors.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Jun 2008 09:56 #219805 by LeeLewis7
Replied by LeeLewis7 on topic Source for new/used KZP rotors
Problem solved. The eBay seller came back with a +5mm measurement on the rotors, so I jumped on 'em. Should be here in a few days. :)

Chattanooga, TN