Dull regular thud/clonk

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 05:58 #219095 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Dull regular thud/clonk was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
1976 kz900. Annoying problem.

I have a dull thud/clonk, with almost no actual noise, as I ride. The frequency is directly related to road speed, occurs in all gears, clutch in or clutch out. As best I can calculate, at different constant speeds, the frequency is somewhere beteen 260-320 "beats" per mile. This wold suggest one beat per 17-20 feet. This would seem to rule out a tire or chain problem as I would expect a tire problem to occur every 7 feet or so and a chain problem to be approx every 6 feet.

Seems to be less pronounced as I accelerate but maybe more pronounced as I brake.

Could this possibly be a front wheel bearing problem? What is the correct torque for the large front axel nuts?

Thanks.

BH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2008 12:09 #219159 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
wheel bearings, yes, chain, yes, could be a chain alingment issue, or even a bad sprocket front or rear, just going to have to look at each item until you find it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 12:41 #219162 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
BSKZ650 Thanks your response.

I actually removed the chain at the weekend, very thorougly cleaned and re lubed, working each link back and forth, to it's full limit of travel, thinking this was the problem. It obviously wasn't (maybe?). i'm thinking any other chain or wheel related problem would manifest itself at either the wheel circumference or chain length?

My confusion is that the thump occurs at 17-20' of road travel and this doesn't SEEM to relate to either the chain length or the wheel circumference. That's why I arrived at the wheel bearings?

My thinking is a bad roller hitting a bad spot/crack in the outer race? I'm thinking that any given roller might pass the same point on the outer race every two revolutions of the wheel?

BH

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2008 09:42 #220904 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
Thanks so far but no other thoughts or suggestions?

More
19 Jun 2008 10:19 #220910 by Oznative
Replied by Oznative on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
Check all moving parts as others have suggested. I think its your heart beating really fast because your riding a KZ.

1977 KZ1000 A-1 Just north of Boston

More
19 Jun 2008 14:50 #220955 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
Have you tried putting her on the centre stand and weighing the back down so the front wheel is in the air and then spinning it? If you touch a bit of wood onto the bottom of the forks you may hear a noisy bearing[with the other end in your ear!]Just a thought.

1980 KZ500 B2

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
19 Jun 2008 14:50 #220954 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
Could it be a bad spot on the chain lining up with a bad tooth on a sprocket? That would lower the rate of occurrence.

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
20 Jun 2008 01:42 #221056 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
With chain removed from bike, could "ride" bike while being towed or coasting downhill to determine whether symptoms still existed.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Jun 2008 05:56 #221075 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
I went thru wheel bearing problems, but mine was due to after market wheels, and the spacers not being correct, gotta love POs.
since you have eliminated the chain and sprockets, my next thinking would be cush drive, wheel bearings, and poss, bad tire

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Jun 2008 21:14 #221436 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Dull regular thud/clonk
I was noticing a clunk on my bike, but only during hard braking. I later isolated it to the triple tree being a bit loose.
Could your clunk be related to a loose tree, or some suspension problem. Maybe regular bumps in the road and suspension issues?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles