handlebar mods?

More
06 Jun 2008 13:06 #218394 by mr anderson
handlebar mods? was created by mr anderson
So I would like to swap out my handle bars for a different set. My question is, do I need to get creative with all the wiring, brake resivoir, ect.... when mounting a new (aftermarket) set of handlebars.;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2008 16:30 - 06 Jun 2008 16:35 #218422 by NickW900LTD
Replied by NickW900LTD on topic handlebar mods?
Depends on wether or not you want your wiring internal or external. Superbike bars are good as well the Daytona bars (similar). Undo all the wiring from the harness and pull through the bars if internal, if external then its pretty much just undiong them from the bars and unplugging them. The master cylinder and everything else should have sufficient clearance. If your turn signals mount to the bars you need to relocate them to the headlight.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)
1977 KZ1000 LTD
1978 KZ1000 A2A

Pierceton, Indiana USA
Last edit: 06 Jun 2008 16:35 by NickW900LTD.

More
06 Jun 2008 17:52 #218435 by Toonces
Replied by Toonces on topic handlebar mods?
I put drag bars on my 77 KZ650C1 and it opened up a big can of worms. Kind of a pain in the ass with the wires and all. They don’t just pull through. There were master cylinder issues. Ended up using a MC from a ZX7. There was a clearance issue with the brake line and decreased turning radius after modifying the steering stop to keep the bars from hitting the tank. Was it worth it? Yes. Especially if you like doing projects like that. I later switched to some superbike style bars which I like much better. They also eliminated some of the drag bar issues.