Front sprocket nut - spun the drive shaft

• kneedragger80
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2008 07:14 #216118 by kneedragger80
Front sprocket nut - spun the drive shaft was created by kneedragger80
Spent the weekend trying to change the sprockets and chain on my 750E. Ran into the common problem of a stuck front sprocket nut. I forgot to check and the bike was actually in in gear. I had my neighbor standing on the rear brake pedal while I was cranking on the nut. He thought I said "OK" and let off the pressure on the brake as I was cranking and I spun the drive shaft.

My question is, did we screw something up? What are the consequences of spinning the motor like this, under compression? I had a new starter clutch installed last year and am worried I might have screwed something up. Thanks for your help.

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2008 07:43 - 27 May 2008 07:47 #216126 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Front sprocket nut - spun the drive shaft
You can turn an engine over by using the crankshaft nut, or pop it in gear and turn the countershaft sprocket (as you did), or even grab the rear wheel and turn the engine over in gear....I don't think you hurt anything.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 27 May 2008 07:47 by OKC_Kent.

More
27 May 2008 10:22 #216162 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic Front sprocket nut - spun the drive shaft
...Too much fiddling around can bend the shift fork.

It doesn't sound like you did anything, but I've heard tales of people towing in second gear and the bike slipping out of second afterwards.

More
27 May 2008 10:27 #216163 by touchstone
Replied by touchstone on topic Front sprocket nut - spun the drive shaft
I think it would just be like trying to hill start it and pop the clutch.

did it make any ominous sounds?

• kneedragger80
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2008 11:41 #216177 by kneedragger80
Replied by kneedragger80 on topic Front sprocket nut - spun the drive shaft
No, no ominous sounds I guess. I spun the shaft maybe 1/2 turn and am sure I heard the motor turn over. Nothing from the transmission from what I remember.

I guess I'm just real paranoid. When I first got the bike I couldn't get it to start for the life of me. I didn't realize it at the time but the starter clutch was toast. She'd sit there and lump lump lump all day but never fire. Maybe it was just deja voo back to those times, I don't know.

I guess I should quit bein a little girl and go home and try to start the thing.

Thanks.

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .