New steering stem bearings

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
26 May 2008 19:58 #216058 by IowaKZ
New steering stem bearings was created by IowaKZ
Well, I have been working on replacing my brake pads and painting my calipers, so I decided to change out my steering stem bearings.

This went pretty well. Thanks to another recent post, I was greatly encouraged to use plenty of force removing the old races.

One thing that I didn't see in any of the write ups is how to take the bottom race off of the bottom triple clamp. I really struggled with this and here is what I ended up doing:

1. I took off the rubber seal
2. I used a wood chisel to create a little gap between the race and the bottom of the clamp.
3. Then I widened the gap with a small screw driver.
4. I took a vice grips and fastened it to the shaft of a large screw driver.
5. I used the vice grip to turn the screwdrive that I had put into the small gap I created.
6. By repeating this several times front and back, I was able to remove the bottom race.

It's all back together now and feels pretty smooth. Just need to get the brakes put back together and it should be ready to go.;)

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2008 20:22 - 26 May 2008 20:24 #216066 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic New steering stem bearings
that is one method,and is obviously effective.you can also take a diegrinder with a cutoff wheel and cut a slot in the race off on the side next to the stem,that almost touches the stem.stop just before you brake through the bottom getting as close as possible without touching anything and strike it in the crack with a chisel and brake it and it will release and you can slide it off.you know just another way to skin a goat :blink:

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 26 May 2008 20:24 by 531blackbanshee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.