What type of master cylinder?

More
09 Oct 2005 20:30 #216 by Allshookup
What type of master cylinder? was created by Allshookup
I just got my first bike an 85 KZ1000 Police bike. The wiring is a mess and the controls are bulky with all the extra buttons and switches. I have an adapter to go from 7/8" to 1" bars. I would like to get a set of controls from a Harley.

1)There are tons of them.
2)I can add chrome switch covers.

I don't know what to do about the master cylinder, I have been told that if I get the setup for duel disk breaks it will blow my calipers, I have also been told that if I get the setup for a single disc break it wont be enough.

Here are the master cylinder specs for both HD.

Dual Disc Front Master Cylinder 11/16" Bore
Single Disc Master Cylinder 9/16 Bore

Does anybody know which of these would be the best option? Has anybody done this type of a swap before?

I will post images of my bike tomorrow, left my camera at work. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2005 04:36 #282 by steell
Replied by steell on topic What type of master cylinder?
Either one will work, the Kawasaki uses a 5/8" (10/16") master cylinder for dual disk, and a 1/2" (8/16") for single disk. Or appropiate MM size :)
The larger master cylinder will take more hand pressure to apply the same hydraulic pressre to the caliper, but it won't move as far. Seems backward don't it :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
10 Oct 2005 08:28 #345 by Allshookup
Replied by Allshookup on topic What type of master cylinder?
Would the 9/16 master cylinder be to soft?
Or are they both so close I wouldn't really notice a difference.

Thanks,

Post edited by: Allshookup, at: 2005/10/10 11:44

More
10 Oct 2005 15:25 #457 by steell
Replied by steell on topic What type of master cylinder?
I have used both 1/2" and 5/8" master cylinders on dual disk brakes, and I prefer the 5/8". It takes less travel to apply the brakes, and I have plenty enough strength in my right hand to lock them up. I don't like a lot of travel in the brake lever, but that's a personal opinion. If I was doing it, I would use the 11/16" master cylinder, but like I said, either one will work.

KD9JUR

More
10 Oct 2005 15:27 #461 by PuGz
Replied by PuGz on topic What type of master cylinder?
I have used a larger bore MC on my dual disk setup then the kawasaki one and I dont have problems. Just less travel like steell said.

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
13 Oct 2005 05:06 #1267 by dgfischer
Replied by dgfischer on topic What type of master cylinder?
Either caliper will work. I have used both the single dicsc and dual disc master cylinder on a Dual disc front end. The single disc M/C had more travel but gave a very "precise" feel when braking. I was going more for originality so I used the Z-1 5/8 master cylinder.
I have noticed that when using the single disc M/C (or any M/C- especially a single disc M/C) braided steel brake lines help brake feel alot.
If you would squeeze your larger M/C enough to blow the seals in the calipers, then you would have probably done an endo and flew over the handlebars.
Daniel

More
13 Oct 2005 06:03 #1286 by henrymski
Replied by henrymski on topic What type of master cylinder?
You will find this website extremely helpful:

www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

More
13 Oct 2005 09:01 #1334 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic What type of master cylinder?
If you are going to replace the MC i would go for one off of a sport bike becuase of the lever adjustabilty. I am using a ZRX1100 one and its great. It is the 5/8 one and the feel is nice and the adjustment is even better.

Post edited by: galaxian, at: 2005/10/13 12:01

Post edited by: galaxian, at: 2005/10/13 12:33

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2005 23:43 #9128 by wireguy
Replied by wireguy on topic What type of master cylinder?
put a 4x8 piece of plywood in the water and push down on it,now do the same with 4x4 piece of plywood.you have to displace more water with the 4x8 piece to make it sink so you have to push harder.the pison in the mastercylinder works the same way you try push the brakefluid,make sense?