Dropping the bike on the front forks - how is this accomplished?

• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
26 May 2008 12:19 #215971 by KOOL RYDER
I brought the bike to the mechanic to check the front springs and replace the fork oil. I asked him to keep the bike at the same height on the front forks as I liked the look of the profile of the bike better that way. Anyways, the mechanic did not do as requested and now the bike is siting at the top of the tubes.

I am aware that there are two bolts on either side to adjust the height, one at the top (clamp) one halfway down the tubes.

I attempted to drop the bike down and it did go down, but one side is ~1/8 of an inch lower than the other side.

How can I measure to make sure that both sides are at the same height. I have tried eyeballing it, using a paper template.

Is there a method to accomplishing this?
I am worried that my alignment is off now.

Please provide a step by step process if there is one.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
26 May 2008 12:42 - 26 May 2008 12:43 #215974 by KZQ
The fork tubes NEED to be set the same. Your mechanic is probably, perhaps possibly, unwilling to get into custom setups as they tend to affect handling and just might have an effect on his liability insurance.

Insurance is a loathsome business!

In any case you should:

Support the bike so that the front wheel is off the ground. Loosen the upper and lower clamps and using something softer than a rock move the fork tubes up or down till they're both set the same wherever you like them. You should be aware that sliding the fork tubes up through the clamps causes the steering to get quicker and, while COOL, may not be desirable.

Generally Ma Kaw knows best and maybe even your mechanic.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 26 May 2008 12:43 by KZQ.

More
26 May 2008 15:13 #215998 by racer54
Support the bike so the front end is off the ground and the front wheel is a couple inches off the ground. Loosen the 4 bolts in the triple tree's that you are talking about. Be careful as the fork tubes MIGHT slide down through the trees. Once you have the bolts loose, you may have to pry the clamps open with prybar of some type. You can twist the tubes by hand, tap the top of the trees with a soft mallet, etc. to break the tubes loose from the tree to help the tubes slide up in the trees. Measure from the top of the tree to the top of the tube. Just adjust the tubes til the measurement is the same on both sides. AS was mentioned, bringing the tubes up through the trees will take rake out of the steering and make it turn quicker and reduce some of the stability, although the KZ has enough that a little probably won't make a lot of difference. Have you lowered the rear any? If so, you can lower the front end some and not have to worry too much. Basically, lower front no more than you did the rear to keep original dimensions. This will also make the bike lower to the ground and you will have to watch clearance between mother earth and your pipes. If the steering becomes to quick a steering dampner will help but better to not drop front end too low. I have lowered mine about 1" or so in the front but also lowered the rear a couple inches. Short legs are hell some times!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
26 May 2008 16:59 #216007 by PLUMMEN
try not to lower the front without lowering rear,there is a fine line between faster turning and a 100mph tank slapper without a steering dampner on these bikes.on a bike like my 82 gs1100 suzuki i had lowering frontend definately helps since they corner about like an occ special in stock form!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 May 2008 15:00 #216233 by Chopperdaddy
i used a tape measure and measured from the top of the upper triple clamp to the top of the tubes. . . 1 5/8 is what i got hanging up above the top clamp

Into all things fast. . . Drag boats, bikes and cars . .. sucker for 50\'s thru 70\'s style also