Trouble bleeding front brakes

More
21 May 2008 20:16 #215010 by brich
Trouble bleeding front brakes was created by brich
Hey all - long time no post.

So I am back to work on my z and am having a tough time buliding up pressure for my front brakes.

The specifics:
  • New master cylinder, aftermarket from that guy selling them on eBay.
  • New stainless steel brake lines
  • Rebuilt calipers
  • Dual front disk setup

• I used a vacuume pump to bleed and also tried the good ole' lever pump, hold, crack bleeder, (spurt - no air), tighten bleeder. I went through an entire can of brake fluid and still I can pull the level back to the grip when I grasp it hard.

The brake engages when I spin the front wheek, but it feels too mushy.

The bike isn't on the road at the moment (no gas tank) so I can't ride it to tell if that is just how it feels and it is working, or not. So my question is, could this be a normal feel for the dual disk with steel lines and a new (but semi-cheaply manufactured) master cylinder? Sound like I am missing anything?
    :dry:

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    21 May 2008 20:42 #215013 by apeman
    Replied by apeman on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    No, you should have a very firm brake with your new components. You have some air bubbles somewhere. I had to remove the calipers, and raise them above the level of the M/C, then bleed them again to get the last bits of air out. Also, after I got it close, I used them for about a week, then did it again. My handle is extremely firm now.

If you search, you will find a number of old threads that discuss this same issue. Good luck, and let us know what finally works for you.
    /

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
    PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
    21 May 2008 21:12 #215020 by brich
    Replied by brich on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    Sounds like what I will be trying next then. Thanks for the advice apeman.
    I will no doubt let you know how it turns out.

D@mn .. your name got that Kinks song stuck in my head now. :laugh:

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
    21 May 2008 21:16 #215022 by PLUMMEN
    Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    pull your lever back as far as it will go and zip tie it to handle bar leave it like that overnight,then come back next day and crack bleeder valve open.that should force the air one way or the other out of system then bleed the other caliper normally;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
    21 May 2008 21:19 #215025 by brich
    Replied by brich on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    Just ran out in the garage and zip tied it right now! Thank u sir. :)

More
    21 May 2008 21:31 #215027 by PLUMMEN
    Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    SIR ?????? im a semi retired plummen,electrical,hvac contractor.i work for a living (sometimes anyway!!!:laugh: )

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
    21 May 2008 23:20 #215036 by donthekawguy
    Replied by donthekawguy on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    WhenI did my brakes it took a good two weeks before they firmed up to where it felt good. I would take off the cover and pump the brakes slow and watch all the little tiny bubbles come up. That went on for about a week straight then it felt good enough to ride with.

Rathdrum Idaho
    1971 Kawasaki g3ss
    1972 Yamaha R5 350
    1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
    1964 Yamaha 125

More
    22 May 2008 06:41 #215076 by Bluemeanie
    Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    When you put a new or rebuilt master on a car or bike you really should "bench" bleed the master first. I have a kit with fittings that pumps the fluid out and back into the resivour. Trying to pump fluid through a dry system with something that is not even bleed itself is a nightmare. That's what these guys are basically trying to tell you, the air is most likely in the master. Sometimes you can have trapped air in the calipers also which may require you to remove and rotate to have bleeder pointing up. Careful with the "lever pumping then crack the bleeder way", pump it too hard and you can take one air bubble and turn it into 20 bubbles. If your still having a problem you can also crack the bleeder first and then slowely squeeze the lever. Let us know...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
    22 May 2008 07:37 #215093 by Sandy
    Replied by Sandy on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    Just remember that you will probably have to hang the calipers at a certain angle to get all the air out.I went through the same thing,and eventually,that's what I did and it worked.Experiment with different angles and you'll get it eventually.
    Don't forget to insert a piece of plywood in between each set of pads,so the piston doesn't push out all the way(and the pads.Make sure the plywood is thicker than the rotor.
    This will make it much easier to re-install the calipers back over the rotors.;)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
    22 May 2008 10:53 #215129 by Patton
    Replied by Patton on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    Consistent with the above good advice about correctly positioning the caliper when bleeding the brake lines, the FSM Supplement for 1976 KZ900-B1 LTD has instructions for bleeding the front brake lines which specifically include removing the calipers and holding them in position whereby the air bleed valve is on top pointing straight up during the bleeding operation.

Uncertain about exactly which caliper design is involved here or how the bleed valve is oriented with caliper mounted in its usual position on the bike.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
    KZ900 LTD

More
    23 May 2008 13:38 #215381 by KawiConvert
    Replied by KawiConvert on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    I bought a pair of speed bleeders and they did seem to help with bleeding the lines. I will have to get them back on and rebleed sometime next week though. You might give them a try, I got them off eblay for about 7.00 each.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• Becker
    • User
    • The Doctor Will Rise Again
    More
    23 May 2008 16:50 #215416 by Becker
    Replied by Becker on topic Trouble bleeding front brakes
    Just one small thing to add to all the good advice already here, if you take a screwdriver handle and give the master cylinder and calipers a sharp rap. This will loosen any bubbles up and let them go to the bleeder.

78 KZ750B3
    79 KZ400 LTD
    78 KZ650C2
    79 KZ650C3
    78 KZ650B2A
    80 KZ650F1
    80 KZ650E1
    81 CB750K Super Sport