when to beef up the chassis...drag racing 101

• downhandonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2008 21:47 #213928 by downhandonly
when to beef up the chassis...drag racing 101 was created by downhandonly
how much horse power can a stock kz1000 frame take before stiffeners and gussets must be added and when is the line crossed when the engine needs a completely new chassis? I am getting into drag racing with my bike this year and after I get my feet wet I am pretty sure I'll want more power and a lower et for next year. but I'd also like to use it for the street so ten feet long and two inches of ground clearence is not for me. whats a good length for a street/strip swingarm? thanks, Lee

80 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2008 22:27 #213936 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic when to beef up the chassis...drag racing 101
the newer kz frames up to around 1980 are far stiffer than the flexi flyer z1 frames 73-75 kawasaki learned a lot the hard way,the ltds have a little more rake built into them stock which is a plus compared to a normal kz.2" over is pretty common for swingarm ,but lowering bike also helps get center of gravity lower which intern helps hold frontend down. my 80 ltd ran a healthy 1327 motor with a stock length swingarm with wheel pushed all the way back in adjusters to gain a little length.my rear shocks were around 11"long and set on limpest setting,the header would drag on anything over 2-3" high with me on it.but it would just hook up and pull like a freaking train.havent decided the details of next build but it will be fast!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• downhandonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2008 04:44 #213963 by downhandonly
Replied by downhandonly on topic when to beef up the chassis...drag racing 101
thanks for the reply, what kind of tire did you run with the stock swingarm, I already found out I"m out of luck with a 130 90 16 slick. I'm thinking about an arm from redline but not sure how to rig up the wheel and offset countershaft sprocket and whatever else may pop up. plus I just invested in 2 new sprockets and an o ring 630

80 KZ1000 LTD

More
16 May 2008 08:24 #213992 by PLUMMEN
a really sticky 130 tire,didnt work good on the dyno but it sure hooked up good on the street!:laugh:

More
16 May 2008 08:40 #214001 by PLUMMEN

Attachments:

More
16 May 2008 09:20 #214013 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic when to beef up the chassis...drag racing 101
wowzers plummen,you still got that bike?is that a 51-52 chevy waitin on some attention to?nice toys.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
16 May 2008 17:51 #214093 by PLUMMEN
yeah thats my little streetracer sleeper kaw! :evil:its in pieces right now being all redone ,gonna do a few more tricks to the motor while its apart also.ive got a set of 1327 turbo pistons im thinking about a worked over and shaved kz head to bring it up to around 9:1 with 900 crank and a nitrous bottle to continue pissing of sportbikes!:laugh: too many projects ,never enough time and money at the same time!:blush: :laugh: