Want To Bypass My Right Hand Engine Control Switch

More
15 May 2008 21:12 #213922 by reborn650
Hey Gang - Need some advice here as electrical is my weak link when it comes to wrenching.

Here's the background...

Last autumn my bike died after a good couple hour run, luckily it was right around the corner from my house. Turns out I went through about 5five 20 amp main fuses until I realized I had a short somewhere. Up until tonight, I never had the chance to get into the problem with the help of fellow Kzrider member, secondtimearound. Thanks Barry!

We found out that the brake light bulb's housing had been replaced by a previous owner and it appears that the bulb had grounded itself against the speedo/tach inside frame. When we taped up the base of the bulb and turned on the key, everything worked as it should.

We also decided to check the right hand control as I have superbike bars on the bike instead of the factory bars where the wiring went through the stock bars. I had thought that a wire had been pinched between the bar and the mods I made to make the wiring fit through the control where it meets the bars.

When I took the hand control apart (the round switch that kills the engine by either turning up or down, the whole inside of the plastic switch had decomposed to an unusable state. Checking on buykawasaki, I have to buy the whole damned right contril unit which no doubt will be either discontinued or big-time pricey.

So here is my thought...Can I just bypass this right hand control engine switch, still leaving the electric starter intact and have the ignition simply power up when I turn on the ignition key?

I have the wiredgeorge coil wire upgrade which powers up the coils when the key (and or) the right control kill switch is turned on.

How would I do this modification if it is possible?

Remember, I am a wiring neophyte.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
1977 Kz650 Custom - 810 kit, Mikuni 29's and lottsa go fast goodies inside.

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2008 22:31 #213937 by PLUMMEN
piece of cake!mount your starter button someplace else and use your key for kill switch;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.