NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKET TIME

More
11 May 2008 19:44 #212944 by SuperTrey
NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKET TIME was created by SuperTrey
1978 KZ100 A2.

I had been feeling some strange knocking (best way to describe it) in my feet when riding at highway speed. Checked the chain, which I was adjusting several times a month lately, and about 14 teeth were broken off the rear sprocket. It was a plastic sprocket, "Tuff one" it says on it. Anyway I had the tire misaligned from a tire change and had realigned it recently, so that probably explains the broken teeth. The front sprocket looks pretty worn as well. I have no idea how old the chain is, it was on since I got the bike 2 years ago.

15 front/33rear is the current count.

I know very little about chains and sprockets.
1. What is the stock number of teeth for front and rear? What rpm at 70mph would the stock configuration give?
2. What size chain? I have seen 630s and 530s on other threads, but don't know what that means.
3. What is a good combo for front and rear sprocket for less vibration at highway speed? Right now it turns just under 5k at 70mph.
4. what is the best brands to get that won't break the bank and where?

Thanks for any help. My baby looks sad sitting in the garage taken apart and not able to go on the daily commute.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2008 20:20 #212959 by po boy
Replied by po boy on topic NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKET TIME
The numbers (520,530,630) tell you the pitch, distance between rollers, and roller diameter.

My 1980 KZ750 with roughly 65 to 70 hp has a 630 chain.
My Busa with over double the power and more weight, has a 530 chain.
Racers nowadays pushing 200 hp use a 520 or 525.
The bigger the chain, the more it weighs per foot, and the more power it takes to turn it.
With the quality of construction and materials used in modern O-Ring chains, you can safely step down a size or two and gain a little power and save a little dough at the same time. I'm going to go down a size on my KZ when the curent chain bites the dust.
I'd be suprised if someone on here can't point you to the correct tooth count sprockets to use if you change size.
If you spend the money and buy a good D.I.D. or EK ZVM chain and give it decent maintenence, it'll last you untold miles.

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa

More
11 May 2008 21:38 #212973 by steell
Replied by steell on topic NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKET TIME
I think 13/33 are the stock sprockets for your bike.

Call Z1 Enterprises www.z1enterprises.com/default.aspx and tell them you want to convert to a 530 and lower your cruise rpm a little and they will fix you up with chain and sprockets for around $140 or so.

KD9JUR