Headlight Reassembly Problems

More
08 May 2008 18:20 #212155 by HerrDeacon
Headlight Reassembly Problems was created by HerrDeacon
I had my headlight totally apart over the winter to try and clean it up a bit and I'm now ready to put it back together. Thought it would be pretty simple, but it seems like the outside ring is not lining up correctly with the headlight bulb. there is a pretty large gap at the top between the outside ring and the bulb. Is this normal? It appears that the cause of it is where the ring attaches to the other ring that sits behind the bulb. It seems too high and causes the gap.

I'm also wondering if these parts are from the same model bike. I have found a few parts that I know are not from a D1 (e.g. gas tank) and I'm wondering if the PO just assembled the headlight from some other donors. Here is a pic to show the gap. Could someone let me know if this is normal?

Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2008 18:23 #212156 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Headlight Reassembly Problems
Here is another showing the ring that sits behind the bulb:

Attachments:

More
08 May 2008 18:24 #212157 by HerrDeacon
I don't have any pics of the headlight before I dismantled the bike to see if this gap was present before I took it apart.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
08 May 2008 18:48 #212162 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Headlight Reassembly Problems
There is no gap like that on my 650C. I would guess the ring or headlight is from a different model. Do you have any measurements?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
08 May 2008 19:19 #212172 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Headlight Reassembly Problems
check your alignment/adjustment;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 May 2008 15:32 #212412 by HerrDeacon
PFC FNG wrote:

There is no gap like that on my 650C. I would guess the ring or headlight is from a different model. Do you have any measurements?

I'm thinking this may be the case. As long as I know this gap is not normal I'll make some "adjustments" to make it fit :)

I just looked at the parts diagram on Kawasaki.com, and the one for the D1 does look a bit different than mine. I'm going to take another look at mine again though before I start modifying it to make sure I'm not putting it together the wrong way which could be throwing it off.

Thanks guys.

More
09 May 2008 15:37 #212414 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Headlight Reassembly Problems
Might be adjustment and maybe just an out of round condition. Try attaching it to the bucket and see if that changes it.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
10 May 2008 05:47 #212524 by HerrDeacon
I took another look at all the parts and it turns out the inside ring that sits on the outside of the bulb was broke. The spot weld let go and so when it sandwiched the bulb with the inside ring it caused it to go off kilter! I wouldn't have thought it would have caused it to go that bad. I don't have a welder so I just riveted it together and now it's nice and symmetrical.

Now I just have to find a screw to use as the adjustment screw as there wasn't one with this headlight.

Thanks for everyones help.