Tyre question

More
05 May 2008 10:55 #211334 by Marp68
Tyre question was created by Marp68
Hi

I have ordered a new rear tyre for my z650 -78.

Original size is 4.00 18", which would be approx. 110/90 18". I decided to go with "Metzeler Lasertec 120/80 -18 TL 62H M/C", since I wanted the tyre to be bigger and with lower profile. I also thought the pattern of this tyre matched the decade of the bike...

Now I have become uncertain regarding a few things...

I've heard that with tubeless tyre, you can still use a tube. Is that correct? Or do I have to use tube tyre?

Do you think it's okej to go from 90 to 80 regarding the profile?

I have also read about Radial tyres? What type of tyre regarding these things should I have? Nothing in Haynes and nothing on the tyre... And what is the Metzeler I have chosed?

Hoping for quick answers, since I have to change the order, if it's not okej.

/M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2008 11:17 #211349 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Tyre question
Tubeless tires may be used on tubes rims as long as a tube is still used. Yes, it is completely ok to use a tubeless tire.

Yes the size difference is permissible (I just switched back to the original size, PO had changed to the lower wider tire).

Evolution of tire technology dictates that essentially any average quality tire you purchase now will outperform the tires that the bike was designed for. (I am no expert here, this is just my opinion.) So, I would not worry a lot about the radial concern. But I am interested if there are any opinions as to which would be best.

Q

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
05 May 2008 13:07 #211393 by Marp68
Replied by Marp68 on topic Tyre question
Thanks a lot, Qdude! :)

Now I can sleep without worries and await my new tyre. The one I have now came with the bike. It's almost new, but more of a cross country tyre (see the image). Not good to rely on in the curves... :ohmy:

/M

More
14 May 2008 03:51 - 14 May 2008 07:05 #213504 by Marp68
I went for the Metzeler Lasertec 120/80 -18 TL 62H.

Looks really great on the bike. I really thinks that the pattern works nice with the decade of the bike. And the wider tyre and lower profile looks fine as well.

Will post an image some day. And update the profile image...

M
Last edit: 14 May 2008 07:05 by Marp68.

More
14 May 2008 06:50 #213523 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic Tyre question
What's a tyre?

More
14 May 2008 07:04 #213525 by Marp68
Okej, okej...

must have slipped a several times on the buttons...:silly:

More
14 May 2008 11:05 #213569 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Tyre question
madderkaw wrote:

What's a tyre?

A seaside city in Lebanon.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
14 May 2008 11:17 #213574 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Tyre question
Marp68 wrote:

Hi

I have ordered a new rear tyre for my z650 -78.

Original size is 4.00 18", which would be approx. 110/90 18". I decided to go with "Metzeler Lasertec 120/80 -18 TL 62H M/C", since I wanted the tyre to be bigger and with lower profile. I also thought the pattern of this tyre matched the decade of the bike...

Now I have become uncertain regarding a few things...

I've heard that with tubeless tyre, you can still use a tube. Is that correct? Or do I have to use tube tyre?

Do you think it's okej to go from 90 to 80 regarding the profile?

The tire will almost certainly work, but in general: going to a rear tire which is larger than the rim was designed for may make it wear faster because it tends to push the center strip of the tread patch out more. It may also change the way it handles, but going up a little in size probably won't change it much.

The point is the tire is designed for a specific rim width and if a different width rim is used, it does change the shape of the tire slightly.

My bike is just like yours: came with a 4.00-18 rear tire. I went to a 4.75-18 one time and it did wear the center strip pretty fast. I believe 110/90-H18 is the closest metric size to 4.00. I am running one now on the back and it is wearing very well.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 May 2008 11:19 #213577 by bountyhunter
Marp68 wrote:

I have also read about Radial tyres? What type of tyre regarding these things should I have? M

It was my understanding all motorcycle tires were radial design, maybe not.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 May 2008 11:38 #213589 by Marp68
bountyhunter wrote:

The tire will almost certainly work, but in general: going to a rear tire which is larger than the rim was designed for may make it wear faster because it tends to push the center strip of the tread patch out more. It may also change the way it handles, but going up a little in size probably won't change it much.

The point is the tire is designed for a specific rim width and if a different width rim is used, it does change the shape of the tire slightly.

My bike is just like yours: came with a 4.00-18 rear tire. I went to a 4.75-18 one time and it did wear the center strip pretty fast. I believe 110/90-H18 is the closest metric size to 4.00. I am running one now on the back and it is wearing very well.

Well, thanks for the tip... I have already bought and put the tire on the bike, though. Maybe I run off a bit fast... The time and driving it will tell...

M

More
14 May 2008 12:03 #213606 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tyre question
bountyhunter wrote:

Marp68 wrote:

I have also read about Radial tyres? What type of tyre regarding these things should I have? M

It was my understanding all motorcycle tires were radial design, maybe not.

Nope, both bias and radial are available, but you'll be hard pressed to find a rear radial that will fit on anything smaller than a 4" wide rim, or a front for anything less than a 3" wide rim.

Same thing applies to diameters, never seen a 19" radial, I think 18" radials may be available for the front, but 18" rear radials are real scarce. Dunlop used to make a 18" rear radial, but I haven't seen it listed in awhile.

KD9JUR

More
14 May 2008 19:10 #213673 by bountyhunter
Marp68 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Well, thanks for the tip... I have already bought and put the tire on the bike, though. Maybe I run off a bit fast... The time and driving it will tell...

M

Rear tires never last very long anyway.

1979 KZ-750 Twin