tube vs tubeless wheels

More
24 Apr 2008 13:42 - 24 Apr 2008 13:48 #208778 by steell
tube vs tubeless wheels was created by steell
It's been awhile since I posted the pics and explanation of tube vs tubeless wheels, and the previous pics (that were linked on photobucket) have been deleted, so here it is again.

Here is a pic of a tubeless mag wheel, you'll notice that there are two ridges, one on each side of the well (the dip in the middle) next to where the bead of the tire would be located.
These ridges are there to lock the bead in place so it don't slip into that well and cause a rapid air loss, as in instant flat (same as a blowout). This usually happens if the tire air pressure is low, and some force is applied to the sidewall of the tire, like catching the edge of a pothole, or even leaning it hard into a curve (now think about that one!). Those ridges are also the cause of the difficulty in breaking the bead when dismounting a tubeless tire.

KD9JUR
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Apr 2008 13:48 by steell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2008 13:46 #208779 by steell
Replied by steell on topic tube vs tubeless wheels
Here is a tube type mag wheel, notice the lack of ridges on each side of the well? That's why you can usually break the bead on a tube type tire just by squeezing the sidewalls with your hands, there is nothing there to hold the bead in place once the tube is deflated.
Please don't even think about running a tube type mag wheel tubeless, it's really not worth the risk.

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2008 14:07 #208793 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic tube vs tubeless wheels
I remember once I bought an expensive name brand front tire that had a "molded edge" designed to mate with the rim of my "tube type" wheel..... and lock very solidly. If the tire loses all of it's air, the bead stays locked to the rim.

Of course, it was a bugger to get on or off the rim.

I tried to mount it and killed two new inner tubes with my tire irons. Gave up, and took it to a place that mounts tires for $15.

The guy sure gave me a dirty look when I came to pick it up. I didn't ask how many tubes they trashed getting it on or how they did it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin