Brazing Aluminum Engine Cover Results! by Old Man Rock

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Apr 2008 19:37 - 21 Apr 2008 19:42 #208096 by Old Man Rock
Hey all,

I wasn't sure how this would come out but my 1976 KZ900 had some serious dings, scratches and holes in the aluminum engine covers. After researching how much $$$ it was going to costs to replace I decided what the hell did I have to loose, repair them! :woohoo:

So on my way to Harbor Freight Tools to pick up some aluminum brazing rods, some Tripoli and White aluminum polishing compound and some 4" buffing disk for insertion onto the drill.

Without making this a long drawn out tutorial, follow the images and you should be able to pick up the basic idea. Wire wheel the hole/scratch for the brazing to adhere. Then file down just above surface area, sand down with 80, then work your way up to 1000 grit, buff with Tripoli to remove medium depth scratches and finish off with white compound for Bling!

Still have some final polishing to accomplish for scratches but looking pretty decent I think.

Hope you enjoyed,

Old Man Rock

members.cox.net/ruinsofstei/Aluminum%20S...20Cover%20Repair.pdf

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 21 Apr 2008 19:42 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2008 20:04 #208100 by Sandy
Looks great!B)

Will you be able to polish where you've welded,to blend it together even better?

I've done a fair bit of polishing,and it really IS amazing what can be done,when it's done right.
Great job!

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Apr 2008 04:58 #208394 by Old Man Rock
Hey Sandy,

I've tried like hell with different methods to get the two materials to match but no luck.

I believe it has to do with the purities of the rods versus the covers. Once sanded and buffed the rod filler is like glass with no noticeable scratches. The side covers are a different story for they still show signs of buffing swirls in the aluminum. Hard to see from a couple of feet away but up close, they're there.

Ah well, onto the points cover.

NOTE: The previous & multiple owners of this bike had to be some kind of riders to damage these they way they have. I know, KZ900 motocross! :laugh:

Old Man Rock

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
25 Apr 2008 15:31 #209079 by big mike
i have some covers if you looking to replace them and if you need them welded up and filled i could help you in this matter if you like im not to spendy or if you just need one to replace on let me know ok we all have the same buget ok lol B)