Replacing Bridgestone Spitfires and the light goes on . .

• kneedragger80
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2008 08:46 #205195 by kneedragger80
My 750E needs new tires. The Bridgestone Spitfires that are on there now, the front looks very good - lots of tread left, but the rear is shot. Both have RWL. I know very little about the cycle's past history so I figured I'd just get a new set. Really wanted to replace w/ the RWL if possible.

I checked the boards here for opinions on replacements and figured I'd just stick w/ the Spitfires (if Rossi has to have Bridgestone then I guess they're good enough for me.) So off I go on my search . . .

Finding the 100/90 19 front in RWL was easy. But finding a replacement 120/90 18 for the rear in RWL is proving difficult. So I looked and could only find that size in the "front tire" listing in most catalogs. Then the light clicked on (I'm slow). Could it be that someone mounted a front tire on the back wheel? I went out to the garage to take a look and sure enough I had a tire marked "front use only" mounted on the back. Adding to that, the tire was mounted in reverse to the rotation marked on the tire. I was pretty ticked at myself after I realized I'd put 2000 miles on it last year and never bothered to really take a close look at the tires. Duh.

I guess my point is to check your tires. If you didn't mount them yourself, check 'em just to be sure that everything is OK.

So I have to ask, anyone ever seen/done this before, mounting a front tire on a rear rim? Is it common? Safe?

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2008 09:24 #205201 by N0NB
I don't know if it's common, but I doubt it's too safe. I've read that the tire construction process is the main reason for the direction arrow--so it doesn't come apart under acceleration (back tire) or braking (front tire) due to the overlapping layers of the casing.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
09 Apr 2008 09:40 #205205 by steell
N0NB wrote:

I don't know if it's common, but I doubt it's too safe. I've read that the tire construction process is the main reason for the direction arrow--so it doesn't come apart under acceleration (back tire) or braking (front tire) due to the overlapping layers of the casing.

That's why the back tire was mounted on there in reverse, rotating opposite the direction of the arrow.

It used to be pretty common to do this, on certain bikes, at one time there wasn't even a difference between front and rear, you just bought a set of tires and mounted them :)

Perfectly safe, although not the absolute best for handling.

KD9JUR

More
09 Apr 2008 09:41 - 09 Apr 2008 09:43 #205206 by bountyhunter
I recall from a long time back, some tires can be used for both. I do seem to recall if you switch front to rear you do want to reverse the tread pattern direction. In fact, I remember (maybe it was Avon Roadrunners?) had both on the sidewalls: an arrow pointing one way saying "Front Fitment" and an arrow pointing the opposite way saying "Rear Fitment". As you found out, the tire doesn't explode if you do it.

I got a matched set with "arrow" type of treads and immediately noticed that when mounted as stated on the sidewalls, the tread pattern direction was opposite between the two tires.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 09:43 by bountyhunter.

• kneedragger80
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2008 06:22 #205386 by kneedragger80
Thanks for the info all, it is very informative.

I never would have thought that mounting a front tire like that on the back would be acceptable but I guess in the past it might have been OK. I can't really say how much the rear tire affected the handling because I don't have a basis for comparison, all I can say is she can get pretty squirrelly at times. Hopefully when I get some new skins and get my new fork springs installed she won't be quite the handful.

Thanks again . . .

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .

More
10 Apr 2008 06:34 - 10 Apr 2008 06:35 #205389 by rstnick
I've got Bridgestone Spitfires on my bike.

A mechanic buddy has seen them, and says they're not very good/sticky.

He has a set of Avons AM22 and AM21 that have been used on the track "a few times". The sides are worn somewhat, but the centre not much at all. I haven't seen them yet.

He's offered them to me, both for $150. He said the rear alone was over $300 new. That's here in Canada, where a lot of prices are double what they are in the USA.
They are an 18" front and rear.
I'm going to be switching to an 18" Z1R front wheel. I have the rim already.
I'm tempted to take him up on the offer.

Any opinions here? Yay or nay?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 10 Apr 2008 06:35 by rstnick.