KZ650 tank on a KZ400

More
30 Mar 2008 08:17 #203067 by steveed
KZ650 tank on a KZ400 was created by steveed
I took my tank to have it cleaned at a local radiator shop and the owner informed me that it was not really worth it. He then proceeded to show me how all along the seams the sides of the tank were so thin he could poke a dental pick through the metal. He did offer to clean and then reline the tank for me, though he recommended against it. Taking his advice I went on the hunt for a tank, unfortunately I am impatient and I wasn't able to find one for a 78 KZ400 so I bought a KZ650 tank. The tank fits but it is slightly larger. The bonus is that the tank has a fuel-level warning light which I plan on wiring up somewhere. My problem is that the front of the seat hits the tank so it doesn't close. The seat pan is basically trashed due to rust so I plan on just cutting about an inch or two off the pan to get it to fit. Anyone see a problem with this or have a better solution?

Other than that bike is progressing well. I try to keep the progress updated on my website.

1978 KZ400B - Electronic Ignition from 81 KZ440
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
30 Mar 2008 08:34 #203071 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic KZ650 tank on a KZ400
If it mounts solidly, doesn't interfere with the handlebars or controls when turning, the petcock doesn't contact the carbs or cylinders, and the back of the tank doesn't contact the battery terminals, I'd run it! :woohoo:

You already know that the seat needs repair/modding, so there's no real negatives there IMHO.
The bonuses are you'll have slightly more fuel capacity, and you should be able to mount one of the tachometers that has the fuel gauge (KZ650 CSR IIRC?) and not just the "low fuel level" warning light and it will be good to go. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
30 Mar 2008 09:18 #203081 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic KZ650 tank on a KZ400
My buddy, kz200 on this site, has a kz400 tank he bought to try and fit on his kz200. It didn't quite fit right for him. He did have it for sale, and if you like, I could check if he still has it?
Rob.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
30 Mar 2008 10:15 #203094 by steveed
Replied by steveed on topic KZ650 tank on a KZ400
RetroRiceRider - It is a very solid mount and nothing is touching so far. I don't have the carbs on yet so I am not sure about that but I don't see any major issues with that. I will keep my eye out for a tach with a fuel gauge as that would really make the whole enterprise worthwhile.

rstnick - For now I think I am going to keep the 650 tank and just cut the seat pan, since it will have to be replaced regardless.

Another issue I am going to have is I will probably have to buy a new petcock. I had planned on rebuilding the old one as it leaked and looked pretty bad overall.

1978 KZ400B - Electronic Ignition from 81 KZ440