Updated Caliper on Z1

More
23 Mar 2008 18:53 #201836 by Dice
Updated Caliper on Z1 was created by Dice
I posted a while back about 75 Z1 I am rebuilding, and how the stock front caliper was trashed. Instead of gambling on ebay and getting another z1 caliper I looked around for a different solution.
What I ended up doing was adapting an early model dual piston ex500 caliper and master cylinder on my bike. I found some assistance from a website dedicated to our triple brothers, as they have done this for a few years on their H1 series bikes. I figured that since the calipers and rotors were basically swappable between the H1's and the Z1's that it should work for me too.
It was fairly straight forward and the only odd piece it required an adapter bracket I got off from one of the triple site guys. I had to tweak it some to get everything lined up and running, but it appears to work good when I mocked it up. My bike will not be back on the street until early summer,so I have not road tested it yet.
I added a SS brake line and EBC HH sintered pads, so it should be up to the task. The whole setup cost me roughly around 140 bucks. Here is a pic of my rough mockup.

1975 Z1B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2008 21:07 #202027 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Updated Caliper on Z1
can the caliper be used on either side for dual disc brakes?B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Mar 2008 02:14 #202045 by jimmybon
Replied by jimmybon on topic Updated Caliper on Z1
it dos'nt look reversable but when i googled ex500 they showed models with one caliper on the right and others with one on the left
looks a neat job as well, although the large spot looks a tad small

74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

More
25 Mar 2008 07:22 - 25 Mar 2008 07:22 #202069 by Dice
Replied by Dice on topic Updated Caliper on Z1
Jimmybon is correct, Kawasaki made a running change on caliper locations on the 500. Earlier bikes appear to be left mounted, possibly changed when they rebadged the bike Ninja 500 in 1994? You could get a left and right set from two different bikes that way for a dual setup. I want to see how the single performs before I fully convert to a dual setup. Try this link for more information:

kawtriple.com/mraxl/caliper/conversions.htm

Like I said mine is still in mockup stage and has not been road tested yet, but the triple guys swear by them. B)

1975 Z1B
Last edit: 25 Mar 2008 07:22 by Dice.

More
25 Mar 2008 22:27 #202201 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Updated Caliper on Z1
cool,thanks!im gonna start looking for 600 partsB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.